Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

spiderrob
Advocate III
Advocate III

Content pack sharing with free users

As a pro user, I've created a content pack and shared with a group that includes 'free users'.

As a free user I can see the content pack under Group workspaces and also see all the Dashboards, Reports and datasets. Dashboard data is visible, but when selecting a report, I just see a spinning wheel. I can understand free users not being able to create their own versions, but can you really not see the reports either? There is no warning that this is a Pro only feature??

4 REPLIES 4
spiderrob
Advocate III
Advocate III

That's interesting - I'd read that article previously but hadn't spotted the big red note! - Wonder if that's been added in recently!

So it looks like you can only 'share' dashboards and associated reports with free users.

spiderrob
Advocate III
Advocate III

I've two datasets - one is an uploaded pbix file, the other is an Excel Powerpivot model located in One drive for business. 

All reports are listed for the free user on the left but when you click to view it gets stuck on a spinning wheel. All Dashboards are visible.

It seems that there is some error messaging that needs to be built in for the end users of Organizational Content Packs. I asked about the data source as there is a known issue with this behavior when using the AS connector with the Content Pack. In your case, the end user has to be a Pro user, it is interesting that they can see the Content Pack, but not all that suprising that it doesn't work. My guess is that the spinning wheel of eternity is the current "error" (albeit not very intuitive).

This post is pretty clear that you need a Pro license.

https://support.powerbi.com/knowledgebase/articles/651040-introduction-to-organizational-content-pac...

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

what is the datasource for the dataset in the content pack?

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors