Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Greg_Davurse
Helper I
Helper I

Content Pack Report Copies Lost

Hi All, 

I updated a content pack because i had changed a report I had shared with a group. These changes included adding an additional dataset and then pulling two measures from that data set into an existing visual. When I republished this report I could see that my changes had taken affect; however, I've ran into one huge problem. I had one colleague that made several copies of this report after 'Getting' the content pack, and once I had updated this report, somehow her copies overwrote with the new report. 

For example: my colleage created a copy of the original report called 'Company Report' and tweaked it to their liking and called it 'My Report'. When i made my updates, the 'My Report' was changed back to 'Company Report' and all tweaks/changes were gone. It was my understanding the copied reports should not be affected. 

Should of this happened or what might have caused this? Any thoughts or comments are appreciated. 

Thanks, 

Greg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @Greg_Davurse,

Based on document, if you haven't any customized for the make a copied content pack, it will automatically update.
So, if you want to backup the original version, you should add some custom contents to keep it not auto replace.

Reference link:

Manage, update, and delete organizational content packs

Make any necessary changes in the Update Content Pack window and select Update. A Success message appears.

• For group members who haven't customized the content pack, the update is automatically applied.
  • Group members who have customized the content pack receive a notification that there is a new version. They can go to AppSource and get the updated content pack without losing their personalized version. They'll now have 2 versions: the personalized version and the updated content pack. In the personalized version, all tiles from the original content pack will be gone. But tiles pinned from other reports will still render.  

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @Greg_Davurse,

Based on document, if you haven't any customized for the make a copied content pack, it will automatically update.
So, if you want to backup the original version, you should add some custom contents to keep it not auto replace.

Reference link:

Manage, update, and delete organizational content packs

Make any necessary changes in the Update Content Pack window and select Update. A Success message appears.

• For group members who haven't customized the content pack, the update is automatically applied.
  • Group members who have customized the content pack receive a notification that there is a new version. They can go to AppSource and get the updated content pack without losing their personalized version. They'll now have 2 versions: the personalized version and the updated content pack. In the personalized version, all tiles from the original content pack will be gone. But tiles pinned from other reports will still render.  

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

It also appears ther is a known issue the Power BI team is working on to resolve that is related to updating content packs and apps. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors