Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

draj
Frequent Visitor

Connecting Postgres on AWS from PowerBI Web

Hi all!

I recently created a report on PowerBI desktop while connected to a Postgres DB on AWS RDS. I managed to get around the credentials requirement using npgsql.

However, now I have published the report to PowerBI web, and would like to turn on schedule refreshing, but I am having issues verifying the credentials to the same database from PowerBI web. The error I get is "Failed to update data source credentials: An error happened while reading data from the provider: 'The remote certificate is invalid according to the validation procedure."

Has anyone experienced this before? Would love your input

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
draj
Frequent Visitor

So it turns out that there is a communication aspect between AWS and PowerBI. Recently AWS had a requirement for new certificate requirements, which cause this issue.

The way I resolved it was to have an always-on laptop >> Install the Gateway there >> Run the usual set-up

Now I can publish a dashboard from any other laptop, and the refresh will occur as usual

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-alq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @draj 

You may check if the definition of the data source in 'Manage gateway' and the status of credentials in dataset are valid.

e1.png

e3.png

I wonder you are using a personal gateway or an enterprise gateway. Have you tried to upgrade your gateway to the latest version?

Best Regards

Allan

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Allan,

Thanks for the response.

I am not using any gateways at the moment as I am connected to AWS RDS, which does not allow for the installation of a gateway. Aslo, PowerBi does mention that I do not need one:

Screenshot 2020-05-04 at 10.55.10 PM.png

draj
Frequent Visitor

So it turns out that there is a communication aspect between AWS and PowerBI. Recently AWS had a requirement for new certificate requirements, which cause this issue.

The way I resolved it was to have an always-on laptop >> Install the Gateway there >> Run the usual set-up

Now I can publish a dashboard from any other laptop, and the refresh will occur as usual

wshapiro
Frequent Visitor

@drajI was able to connect PowerBI to Postgres hosted by RDS on Desktop, but when I view it in the web/cloud verison it gives me the error: "Failed to update data source credentials: An error happened while reading data from the provider: 'The remote certificate is invalid according to the validation procedure."

How did you get the connection to work on PowerBI web?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors