Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

michaelshparber
Advocate V
Advocate V

Connect to a Dataflow with Excel Power Query

Hello friends,

How do I connect to a Dataflow table from Excel Power Query?

I don't see the same connectors as I see in Power BI - maybe I can install smth.?

Thanks!

Michael

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @michaelshparber ,

Based on my test, it is not supported yet currently.You can come up a new idea about that and add your comments there to improve Power BI and make this feature coming sooner.

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

It hasn't been properly rolled out yet, but I've figured out how it can be done (and it's really easy!). Not sure if this has been fully rolled out inside excel yet, I'm using excel 365 and it's working for me.

In excel, do Get Data -> Other Sources -> Blank Query.

The first line of your query needs to be:

=PowerPlatform.Dataflows(null)

If you've ingested a dataflow into Power BI before, this navigation will start to look very familiar. You'll need to sign in with your organisational account, and then you should see a table in the previous window show the records "Workspaces" and "Environments". Click "Workspaces", then under the "Data" field select "Folder" and it will drill down to the next level. You can keep navigating down in the same way, but I find the easiest way to continue is to then click the Navigation Cog in the "Applied Steps"  box and navigate exactly the same way that you would do in Power BI.

Power Query Dataflow NavigationPower Query Dataflow Navigation

Congratulations! You've just connected Excel Power Query to your Power BI Dataflow! You can now interact with the dataflow in PQ exactly as you would any other source, and once you're done you can Load your data directly into your data model or a tab as usual.

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am having the same problem, it shows an error when connecting.

I have the following excel version:

Microsoft® Excel® for Microsoft 365 MSO (16.0.14326.20900) 64-bit

Version 2108 (Build 14326.20910)

My steps are:

1. Blank query

2. Paste code in advanced editor

let
    Source = PowerPlatform.Dataflows(null)
in
    Source

Then it shows this error:

fjamB_0-1652821033878.png

Any help is welcome

Regards,

F.

This worked for me previously but recent update of Excel (and PQ) it comes with an error. No alternative solution found so far.

fjam,  this functionality has been working for me for several months.  There is also now a point-and-click option where you no longer need to type the code.  I don't know why it's not working on your end.  Wish i could help.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors