Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

carlol
Helper IV
Helper IV

Confine User to Workspace App

Hi 

I have a workspace app , it will be rolled out to external users 

I will provide the Users with a link to the app 

Is it possible to restrict users to just using the app , I do not want to allow them into the PowerBI home area , to have access to "myworkspace" , generally poking around and asking for access to items they are not allowed, as far as I can see I cannot stop them seeing items exist (i.e. datasets) , still does not stop them clicking on things     

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks 

I have it setup only app access , no build permissions 

What concerns me is , even though a user cannot access the workspace with the assoicated datasets, pbix files , in the app they can click on see related content or view dataset

When view dataset is clicked , it will display cannot find but lands the user in the OneLake Data hub , allows them to add data via a manual paste 

As far as I can see , no way of disabling it , if I user knows it exists they will contact me for access , I want to prevent the addional workload

I want a power bi embedded experience , Users only see the front end , apply the principle of least privileage 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
andres777
Advocate III
Advocate III

Create a user group only for the App, and they will not be able to even see the Workspace...
One of the best benefits of Apps is that the content is Read Only,
so Nobody can make changes, except for Owners and Admin. Keeping it safe.

Power BI App is an interface that allows you to List/Organize finalized reports you would like your users to run, it also allows you to include Paginated Reports (+SSRS) and other documents like PowerPoint, web links and Videos, The final interface will look cleaner and it's safer, as all users will have read-only rights.

The dashboard was meant for consolidating Power BI graphical dashboards Tiles in one report, which can come handy to display summaries from multiple dashboards.
It does not handle Paginated Reports. So 2 different uses... That's how we are using them in our corporation for 2500 users.
update ...
This option is coming to the Power BI solution, I've seen efforts from MS to integrate the two types of reports dashboards and Paginated Reports...

Workspaces vs PowerBI App...
My Power BI Analogy : think of it as when you visit a restaurant...
  Workspace     = Kitchen Area (messy, not pretty, very loud... where developers work)
  Power BI App = Restaurant Sitting Area (Pretty, safe, good music, better experience to consume the final product)

edhans
Super User
Super User

Don't add report users to the workspace at all. Just add them to the app. They can see the reports via the app, and if you give them build permission to the datasets through the app, they can use Analyze in Excel. Your option. But they will have NO access to the workspace.

You cannot block "my workspace" unfortunately. That is a feature that cannot be disabled.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

Thanks 

I have it setup only app access , no build permissions 

What concerns me is , even though a user cannot access the workspace with the assoicated datasets, pbix files , in the app they can click on see related content or view dataset

When view dataset is clicked , it will display cannot find but lands the user in the OneLake Data hub , allows them to add data via a manual paste 

As far as I can see , no way of disabling it , if I user knows it exists they will contact me for access , I want to prevent the addional workload

I want a power bi embedded experience , Users only see the front end , apply the principle of least privileage 

Yeah, you cannot block users from doing their own exploration. If you want an embedded experience, then you will have to set that up. Microsoft wants users to use Power BI and the rest of the Fabric experience, which is one reason you cannot turn off My Workspace. You similarly cannot block all other Power BI content, just like you cannot block Excel in an Office 365 tenant.

So either set up an embedded app, or work iwht  your governance team to set up ground rules for your teammates.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors