Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Krishanu
Helper I
Helper I

Change Report Contact/Owner in Bulk

Hi Experts,

We have a situation. There are many reports in multiple workspaces which are created by people who are not in project anymore. We decided to takeover all the datasets  created by these people-  using powershell in bulk.
But with the corresponding reports - the contact still points to the old person. Example -

Report setting:
report setting.JPG

Dataset setting : attached with my name now after take over.

dataset setting.JPG

Is there any way to change this report contact in bulk, like we did for dataset?

What we tried so far -
1. report takeover - only works for paginated report
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/power-bi/reports/takeoveringroup

2. Tried with GetReportsInGroupAsAdmin to get createdby value, but it comes in GUID format. Any way to use this GUID (to get access to the main user table to where this GUID refers to and then filter with the old people's email ids we have) ?
 Sample output of this GetReportsInGroupAsAdmin API -

admin.JPG

Please help.

4 REPLIES 4
v-henryk-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Krishanu ,

I cannot reproduce your problem. It is not possible to change contacts in batches in other ways, only the following methods can be used. 

v-henryk-mstf_0-1621841453485.png

Whether the following blog content can help you.Announcing new contact lists for reports and dashboards in the Power BI service | Microsoft Power BI...

Let me know the result immediately, looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Henry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @Krishanu ,

I believe, and your questions seems to confirm it, that the "owner" field and the "contact" field are separate and the the "contact" field is based on the dataset owner and/or the person that first published it and/or where somebody came in and changed or added names specifically in the settings.

Have you you used "Take Over In Group" to change the dataset owner? (Datasets - Take Over In Group (Power BI Power BI REST APIs) | Microsoft Docs)  

Or, perhaps the REport version of Take Over in Group (Reports - Take Over In Group (Power BI Power BI REST APIs) | Microsoft Docs)

I am wondering if you have to use the "Update Datasources" - not necessarily to change the actual datasource as much to change the owner/connection of the datasource to the new userid and thereby perhaps change the contact automatically.  (Datasets - Update Datasources In Group (Power BI Power BI REST APIs) | Microsoft Docs

Let us know if that is helpful.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Hi @collinq 

1. Yes we have tried with report takeover (mentioned in my post above), that works only with paginated report.

2. We used dataset takeover to change the owner in bulk and that's also working (mentioned in my post above).

3. Now the only pending bit is to update report contact in bulk.
btw, update datasource will interact with dataset - not with the report.
I was thinking to somehow if we can use the output of GetReportsInGroupAsAdmin ( mentioned in my post above) to find the user email. But found the contact field in report setting and these created by/modified by fields are different.

So anyway to reach to this Contact field via script/Rest API for bulk update?

Hey @Krishanu ,

I do not know of a better way or a way to do it in bulk.  And, as @v-henryk-mstf mentions, you may have to do them individually.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors