Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

sylvaing
Regular Visitor

Cannot share a dashboard - You can't use invalid or duplicate emails

Hi, first time posting here and not sure if it's the right forum. We're using PowerBI through the web interface.

Our Power BI Pro licence is through our A5 licence. When we click on 'Share' for a dashboard, in the share popup, whatever we enter in the field for name or email address always gives in a red field below the entry "You can't use invalid or duplicate emails" and never pops up matching user names. When a  complete email address from the organisation is entered., the message changes to "One or more email addresses could not be validated: {email address entered appears here}".

Is there something we need to activare for sharing to work?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Turns out, it was a false fix. The problem is still there but I think we've found the root cause. It seems to happens when users connect directly to app.powerbi.com without first connecting to Office365. Our Office365 tenant (Azure) is forcing MFA but since the user did NOT connect to Azure first, when we try to share a dashboard, PowerBI tries to talk to Azure and that fails because MFA wasn't done. Inspecting the browser network communication, we see that Azure returns a 'AdalMultiFactorAuthRequiredErrorCode'. If we log into Azure (and MFA) first and THEN, connect to PowerBI, then sharing works.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
sylvaing
Regular Visitor

Through Support, all the options under Export and Sharing in the PowerBI Admin panel were toggled and retoggled to their original values and it fixed the problem. Looks like something was a-wire in our online PowerBI configuration.

Turns out, it was a false fix. The problem is still there but I think we've found the root cause. It seems to happens when users connect directly to app.powerbi.com without first connecting to Office365. Our Office365 tenant (Azure) is forcing MFA but since the user did NOT connect to Azure first, when we try to share a dashboard, PowerBI tries to talk to Azure and that fails because MFA wasn't done. Inspecting the browser network communication, we see that Azure returns a 'AdalMultiFactorAuthRequiredErrorCode'. If we log into Azure (and MFA) first and THEN, connect to PowerBI, then sharing works.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@sylvaing Ah, different A SKU. You have an Academic A5 license, the equivalent of an E5 in the corporate world, not an A Power BI Embedded capacity SKU. Joys of Microsoft licensing alphabet soup. Capacity and SKUs in Power BI embedded analytics - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

So, the next question is are you syncing your Active Directory to Office 365 or are all your users cloud-based users? You need to enter their email address but it should type ahead for you. 

If all else fails, You could check the Issues forum here:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/idb-p/Issues

And if it is not there, then you could post it.

Since you have Pro account you could try to open a support ticket. If you have a Pro account it is free. Go to https://support.powerbi.com. Scroll down and click "CREATE SUPPORT TICKET".

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Yes, AD and Azure are sync'ed. We don't get this problem with other Office365 services. I'll check the Issue forum and I did open a support ticket. From past experience, support tickets can take some time (like, you answered before they did lol) to get answered so I tried my luck here. Thanks for the replies.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@sylvaing Unless I am mistaken, an A5 is a capacity embedded SKU, it is not a Power BI Pro license. You would need separate Pro licenses are embedded SKU's are for embedding Power BI into a web application.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Are you sure? Under "Office 365 A5 for faculty", I have "Power BI Pro" as a service.

sylvaing_0-1621442419873.png

I didn't mean we want to embed Power BI in a web application. Sorry for the confusion, I meant we access Power BI through the web, as in https://app.powerbi.com/groups/me/dashboards/

And this is the error we get:

sylvaing_1-1621442653094.png

or this one when a full email is entered:

sylvaing_3-1621442841498.png

Thanks for the quick reply

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors