Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

SteveCarter1
Advocate II
Advocate II

Cannot pin text box tile to dashboard

PBI Desktop October 2021 release.

Microsoft Edge Version 95.0.1020.53 (also tried Chrome with same result but keeping it all in the MS space for simplicity here).

I created a test report in PBI Desktop with a manual data table (Enter Data) with a date - 16/11/2021

I created a text box with plain text in it.

I then created another text box with some text and the dynamix value 'last date in table'. This correctly pulls back the date value.

Lastly I upload it to the PBI service.

When I hover over or click on either text box I cannot see the 'pin' icon.

In the PBI Service if I then 'Edit' the report I see the pin icon.

I click on the plain text box, click the pin icon and get the pin to dashboard pop-up to select or create a new dashboard.

I click on the text box that contains the dynamic value, click the pin icon, and get nothing. The Pin to Dashboard pop-up does not come up.

I'd happily chare my PBIX but looks like this board doesn't allow that. Hopefully my explanation is simple enough for someone to easily reproduce and/or understand.

Any ideas about this?  Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-janeyg-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi,@SteveCarter1 

This issue has reported it internally (ICM 272944389). 

After confirmation, text box with dynamic value can't be pinned to dashaboard. It is by design, not a bug.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Janey

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-janeyg-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi,@SteveCarter1 

This issue has reported it internally (ICM 272944389). 

After confirmation, text box with dynamic value can't be pinned to dashaboard. It is by design, not a bug.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Janey

Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @SteveCarter1 

Yes, I've been able to reproduce the problem with my data and confirm your experience. It feels like a bug issue to me, if you have basic support you may want to submit a ticket.

To be honest I've never really used a dynamic value in a text box. If needed I create a measure like this..

Txtbx="The sum of sales is " && SUM(Winesales[CASESSOLD])

Then put that measure on a card, then pin the card to the dashboard. That will accomplish what you want.

Hope this helps

Stuart

Dynamic values in text boxes are aweesome 🙂 A lot easier to implement and change, in my opinion, than the Measures solution, which I have also used.

Will look at where to raise an issue to check if already mentioned and raise one if I can't find a match.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors