Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

AviaShemesh

Cannot connect Power BI to a server with inbound rules

Much of the data I work with is pulled from a company database on an AWS server that is secured with inbound traffic rules, where all traffic is blocked except for traffic from whitelisted IP addresses. I need to know what IP address to whitelist so that Power BI can connect to this database and pull the data.

This is the error that I currently get when trying to connect:
Processing error: OData: Request failed: Unable to connect to the remote server
Cluster URI: WABI-WEST-EUROPE-redirect.analysis.windows.net
Activity ID: 48a540a1-8bf8-41b1-8646-d119276fee2c
Request ID: 963da29e-18a6-6057-3a36-b00cf34c68b0
Time: 2022-08-22 06:43:55Z

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @AviaShemesh ,

You can download the Microsoft Azure Datacenter IP list, which is updated weekly or configureto allow outbound connections to FQDN's rather than IP's.

You may also refer to these thread:

Solved: Mass IP Whitelisting for Azure Datacenter - Microsoft Power BI Community

powerbi - How to allow the azure data center IP address dynamically in firewall - Stack Overflow

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @AviaShemesh ,

You can download the Microsoft Azure Datacenter IP list, which is updated weekly or configureto allow outbound connections to FQDN's rather than IP's.

You may also refer to these thread:

Solved: Mass IP Whitelisting for Azure Datacenter - Microsoft Power BI Community

powerbi - How to allow the azure data center IP address dynamically in firewall - Stack Overflow

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

otravers
Community Champion
Community Champion

Last time I checked, the IP address ranges used by the Power BI service were a moving target. Unless that's changed recently, you might want instead look into setting up a Private Endpoint:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/enterprise/service-security-private-links

------------------------------------------------
1. How to get your question answered quickly - good questions get good answers!
2. Learning how to fish > being spoon-fed without active thinking.
3. Please accept as a solution posts that resolve your questions.
------------------------------------------------
BI Blog: Datamarts | RLS/OLS | Dev Tools | Languages | Aggregations | XMLA/APIs | Field Parameters | Custom Visuals

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors