Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

danwscott
Frequent Visitor

Cannot Post from Power BI Desktop

I have already created reports and dashboards with the online Power BI service.  Just today, I downloaded Power BI Desktop, made a quick report, and attempted to post it to my Power BI site.  It asks me to login, which I do, but then tells me "Sorry, you don't seem to have access to Power BI."

Of course, I can pull up a web browser and login to Power BI from there, disproving this last statement.

What is going wrong ? 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

go to http://app.powerbi.com and then after you log in you will see a yellow Get Data box on the lower left hand side.. Click that and then follow the prompts to pick your PBIX file and upload it.

View solution in original post

"Get Data" is found on the power bi site. You can pull your pbix file from there. It will be under "Files", "Local File"

Untitled.png

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

HI guys.

I know it might be too late, but, it's worth to wrtite for the others having the same problem.

Well, you simply selected wrong Microsoft account.

When you're clicking on Publish button iit asks you for you Power BI Service account.

After you type your email address you're asked for selecting your Microsoft account type.

So if you click on Personal instead of Work or School account or wise-versa you're getting that nasty message.

Hope it helps.

andre
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

did you try posting your model using Get Data functionality from the service itself? 

you don't have to use Publish functionality of the Designer to deploy your model to the service.

@andre

Hm.  I am a little confused here.

I have created a report in Power BI Desktop, and want to publish it.   When do I use the "Get Data functionality" ?

"Get Data" is found on the power bi site. You can pull your pbix file from there. It will be under "Files", "Local File"

Untitled.png

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

@andre and @Seth_C_Bauer

Thanks, guys.

go to http://app.powerbi.com and then after you log in you will see a yellow Get Data box on the lower left hand side.. Click that and then follow the prompts to pick your PBIX file and upload it.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

In Power BI Desktop go to File | Sign Out and then try Signing in again

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

@Greg_Deckler

"Sign Out" is greyed out--reasonably so, because it refused my log in from Power BI Desktop.

Very strange, try closing Power BI Desktop, login to Power BI Service, then launch Desktop again, maybe reinstall it, I'm going to look for some way to reset credentials.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

@Greg_Deckler

I tried everything you suggested, and am still unable to publish.  I also asked a coworker to do so from my machine, and he was also unable to login with his username and password.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors