Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

weca_theo
Frequent Visitor

Can't share workspace with Group, only with individuals

I have a Pro license, and work with a team who have Pro licenses. This team are in an Entra ID/AAD security group with Pro licenses assigned. This means I was able to create a new workspace in Power BI online, click 'manage access' then instead of adding users individually I added the entire group, with 'Member' role selected. After waiting a while I checked in with the users to see if they could see the shared workspace. They couldn't.

Instead I added a user individually and he could now see the workspace. What's going on? Why can't users access workspaces if given access via a Group?

What I can see:

weca_theo_0-1701776836552.png

What they can see (no workspace visible):

weca_theo_1-1701776886250.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @weca_theo ,

For give access to your workspace, we could add security groups, distribution lists, Microsoft 365 groups, or individuals to these workspaces as admins, members, contributors, or viewers.

Note: After you add or remove a user or a group for workspace access, the permission change only takes effect the next time the user logs into Power BI.

For more details, you could read related document: Give users access to workspaces - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best regards,
Community Support Team_Binbin Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @weca_theo ,

You can share with a group but "

• You can’t use Microsoft 365 Unified groups for direct sharing and email subscriptions. If you don’t want to specify individuals, you can use email-enabled distribution groups or security groups to share with multiple users." 

So, the type of group is what matters.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Hi @collinq ,

the group is a Security group. Does it have to be email enabled? Or is that only for distribution groups?

Thanks

Hi @weca_theo ,

For give access to your workspace, we could add security groups, distribution lists, Microsoft 365 groups, or individuals to these workspaces as admins, members, contributors, or viewers.

Note: After you add or remove a user or a group for workspace access, the permission change only takes effect the next time the user logs into Power BI.

For more details, you could read related document: Give users access to workspaces - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best regards,
Community Support Team_Binbin Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors