Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

powerbiasker
Helper IV
Helper IV

Can't find the Usage Metrics Report dataset in the Settings -> Datasets....

I am using the improved usage metrics report for usage monitoring in the Power BI Service.

However, I have got the following alert that indicates the usage data should be refreshed

the improved usage metrics report.JPG

When I go to check the usage data in the Settings, I can't find the Usage Metrics Report dataset in the Settings (as mentioned @ https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-modern-usage-metrics).

the improved usage metrics report 2.JPG

Why?

Is this because it has been disabled by the Admin?

15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

connect
Helper I
Helper I

Hi, 

You won't be able to find it as of now, no matter whether you use classic or "New Usage Report" format. 
You'll always encounter the following message when you'll try to view the dataset of the usage metrics report:

Screenshot 2023-04-16 at 10.11.13 AM.png

As far as I know, recently Microsoft Power BI Portal were running some issues regarding usage metrics which they somehow fixed but I believe they have turned of certain features like viewing dataset of the usage metrics reports.

Solution: 

There are two possible solutions if you would like to build in-house Power BI Audit report capabilities: 

1) View Usage Metrics reports on Power BI Admin Portal (see image below)

Screenshot 2023-04-16 at 10.31.05 AM.png

2) Recommended one: Use PowerShell script and download all the Power BI Audit Data. Also, you can incrementally store this anywhere you would like and create your own report. I have created for my own organization. 

So, my recommendation is to work for the option 2. this would initially takes time but once done, you can monitor your whole Power BI tenant. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Same problem! please help!

srhsimmonds
Frequent Visitor

It is not easy to navigate to the usage metric report dataset.  The following may well help even those who haven't identified a credentials issue.  The answer is not obvious, but here are two ways to get there:

a) Find the Usage dataset and take it over:
1. MS page on Monitoring usage metrics: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-modern-usage-metrics

2. Go to the section Update usage metric report credentials: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-modern-usage-metrics

3.  Per the above, go to the Setting gear in the grey header bar.

4. Go to datasets (across top) then Usage Metrics Report (down lefthand side)

5. From there, it looks like your normal dataset settings.  You can then ID the current dataset owner, take it over if necessary, then maybe check the specific credentials used.

In my case, because the main workspace does not show the usage metrics report dataset, it was not clear that the report dataset was now taken over, but the usage dataset wasn't.

b) Delete the Usage dataset and re-created it
(Note: I did this because I found  the "old" Usage Metrics report was working, but the new one was stuck on several months back, and wasn't updating - that's the one where you can set the date range in the top right corner.  This method doesn't seem to destroy usage data!)

Follow this link regarding troubleshooting refresh issues: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-au/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-modern-usage-metrics#troublesho...

1. follow instructions therein to Delete the dataset

2. follow instructions to Create a fresh usage metrics report

This resulted in my "new" usage metrics report retaining existing data (past three months), and the "new" one was rebooted to be able to view the past month (whereas before, it was only offering me 5 months old data)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Any solution ? Same issue here 😞 

SudeepBasak
Regular Visitor

I am getting the same issue. Not able to find the dataset 😞

Did any find a solution for this ?

cARLOSPERALTA
Advocate I
Advocate I

@powerbiasker @carloseparra Hi guys, did you ever found the solution to this problem? I'm facing the same issue. Thank you

carloseparra
Frequent Visitor

I'm having the same issue here. The answers given are not working. 

PratikshaWagh
Frequent Visitor

Hi,
I am facing exactly the same issue.
did you get any solution for the same?

v-xulin-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @powerbiasker

You need you set the new usage report on.

vxulinmstf_2-1630912527981.png

vxulinmstf_1-1630912390483.png

vxulinmstf_0-1630912344342.png

For more information, you can refer:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-modern-usage-metrics#usage-metri...

If you still have some question, please don't hesitate to let me known.‌‌

Best Regards,

Link

Is that the answer you're looking for? If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution. Really appreciate!

Thank you Link.

But I even can't find the option for 'View usage metrics report'...

Why?

the improved usage metrics report 3.JPG

Hi @powerbiasker,

You selected the dataset, you can only select 'View usage metrics report' for reports and dashboards.

If you still have some question, please don't hesitate to let me known.‌‌

Best Regards,

Link

Is that the answer you're looking for? If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution. Really appreciate!

Greetings,

The answers given are not working. I can't find the dataset either. I'm getting the same message that I have no permissions or the dataset doesn't exist.

carloseparra_0-1657043984296.png

Thank you Link.

I have already selected 'View usage metrics report' for reports and dashboards. This is why I ask the question - 'Can't find the Usage Metrics Report dataset in the Settings -> Datasets....'

I am wondering: does a Power BI administrator turn this feature off?

hi, Power BI Admin connot switch of the "Dataset" setting. There are only two settings available for the usage reports as shown in the attached report. However, you cannot view the "Dataset" nowadays even when you save it as a new report or even turned on the "New Usage Report". 

I am not sure what Microsoft is doing at the backend. This feature was available earlier even with the classic format. 
Screenshot 2023-04-16 at 10.22.28 AM.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors