Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

mattlazarus
Advocate I
Advocate I

Can't Sign in to On Premise Gateway after reinstalling

Hi all,

I'm trying to update our Power BI enterprise gateway and in the process ended up having to uninstall the current gateway and attempt to reinstall and restore the old gateway.

I've uninstalled and re-installed, I think sign in where I put my powerbi username and password. On submitting the password it loads for some time and then returns the following error.

"[GatewayName] is configured correctly but is unreachable due to local network connectivity problems"

Will another error below saying:

"Gateway Service Health Check Failed. Common Issues can be found at https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=838272. Below is the stack trrace: Health check failed becuase it cannot finish in 2000ms.

I have fiddler running and can't see anything being blocked by our proxy.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Matt

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@v-yulgu-msft, thanks for your reply, this helped towards fixing the problem.

@marcoselias, when I uninstalled the gateway all the files were being removed by the uninstaller so I didn't have to delete anything. It sounds like the uninstaller was removing the files in the locations @v-yulgu-msft suggested for you too.

I ended up uninstalling and reinstalling a number of times during the few days that our gateway was down. To your question @marcoselias, I think the best way to uninstall the gateway is via the control panel.

Here's what fixed it for me:

1. I checked that all the domains listed here under the Ports section were accessible and whitelisted on our proxy:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-gateway-onprem/

2. I changed the Log On User for the On-Premise Gateway service from NT SERVICE\PBIEgwService to an account in our Active Directory (the account I was logged in as). And then restarted the service.

3. I ran fiddler which monitors network traffic (while I tried to login to the gateway) to see if the gateway was not getting access to something it should be accessing. Nothing looked like it was being blocked.

4. I ran the below in powershelll:

Test-NetConnection -ComputerName watchdog.servicebus.windows.net -Port 9350

And the result came back as TCPTestSucceded: False. Which according to Microsoft means that there is a firewall in the way.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-gateway-onprem-tshoot/

At this stage it was looking as though watchdog.servicebus.windows.net could be accessed on port 443 but not on 5671,5672,9350-9354.

5. I gave our networking guys this list of IPs

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=41653

But they may have just opened up the required ports (5671,5672,9350-9354), because the list was very long, I'm not really sure.

6. Once the change was made by our networking team, I then started the gateway configurator and signed in and everything just worked perfectly from there. I was expecting to have to do one last uninstall and reinstall but it wasn't required.

Note, our gateway was working fine until I tried to update it. My thinking is that either the new version of the gateway has slightly different connectivity requirements or that during a restore of a previous gateway, the gateway required slightly different connectivity to that being used on a day-to-day basis to refresh reports. Regardless, it came back online and I was able to refresh all my reports.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @mattlazarus,

When you uninstall the On Premise Gateway, it might not remove all the files & folders associated to the Gateway. 

So, after uninstalling, please check files under below path. If they are remian, delete them entirely, then reinstalled again.

C:\Users\[name]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Enterprise Gateway

C:\Program Files\Power BI Enterprise Gateway

Besides, follow this article to check the firewall and proxy.

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I am having the exact same issue as @mattlazarus. The first attempt at upgrading the gateway failed but I noticed that the files & folders were removed. I ran the installer again and the installation completed. However, I am getting the same messages as @mattlazarus. I may try to uninstall one more time and re-install.

What is the best way to uninstall the On Premise Gateway?

Thanks,

Marcos

@v-yulgu-msft, thanks for your reply, this helped towards fixing the problem.

@marcoselias, when I uninstalled the gateway all the files were being removed by the uninstaller so I didn't have to delete anything. It sounds like the uninstaller was removing the files in the locations @v-yulgu-msft suggested for you too.

I ended up uninstalling and reinstalling a number of times during the few days that our gateway was down. To your question @marcoselias, I think the best way to uninstall the gateway is via the control panel.

Here's what fixed it for me:

1. I checked that all the domains listed here under the Ports section were accessible and whitelisted on our proxy:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-gateway-onprem/

2. I changed the Log On User for the On-Premise Gateway service from NT SERVICE\PBIEgwService to an account in our Active Directory (the account I was logged in as). And then restarted the service.

3. I ran fiddler which monitors network traffic (while I tried to login to the gateway) to see if the gateway was not getting access to something it should be accessing. Nothing looked like it was being blocked.

4. I ran the below in powershelll:

Test-NetConnection -ComputerName watchdog.servicebus.windows.net -Port 9350

And the result came back as TCPTestSucceded: False. Which according to Microsoft means that there is a firewall in the way.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-gateway-onprem-tshoot/

At this stage it was looking as though watchdog.servicebus.windows.net could be accessed on port 443 but not on 5671,5672,9350-9354.

5. I gave our networking guys this list of IPs

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=41653

But they may have just opened up the required ports (5671,5672,9350-9354), because the list was very long, I'm not really sure.

6. Once the change was made by our networking team, I then started the gateway configurator and signed in and everything just worked perfectly from there. I was expecting to have to do one last uninstall and reinstall but it wasn't required.

Note, our gateway was working fine until I tried to update it. My thinking is that either the new version of the gateway has slightly different connectivity requirements or that during a restore of a previous gateway, the gateway required slightly different connectivity to that being used on a day-to-day basis to refresh reports. Regardless, it came back online and I was able to refresh all my reports.

Hope this helps.

Thank you @mattlazarus! This is great information. I'll be working on this today. I have the exact same scenario as you: updated old version that was working fine and the new version is not, plus I'm getting the exact same errors as you did.

I got the gateway running! I'm glad I didn't have to fiddle with proxy settings or config files (except of one timeout value that I don't think made a difference). Modifying proxy settings or changing a whitelist would've opened many cans of worms in my environment. Also, the ping test, Test-NetConnection -ComputerName watchdog.servicebus..., is misleading in my case. I ran it before and after getting the gateway to work and I sill get PingSucceeded: False. 

What I did to get the gateway running, other than having the service run under my user, is I kept restarting the service, restarting the configurator, turning on and off the HTTPS option, and repeat various times until it finally got up and running. I'm guessing the correct order was: change the logon for the service, launch the configurator, sign in, restart the service, change to HTTPS option, restart the service, restart the configurator, sign-in.

An option that may have caused some problems was that I selected "Change Region" as I was entering the gateway name to restore. Not sure but glad it's running and thanks for your help!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors