Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

ToddChitt
Super User
Super User

Can't Reuse Dataset/Gateway for Dataflow

Hello all:

I have a Standard Gateway installed. There is a Dataset configured that uses and ODBC connector. I have a Power BI Model PBIX file deployed that uses that Gateway and Dataset. Refresh works fine.

I now want to create a Dataflow that uses that same Gateway and Dataset ODBC connection.  But the only option I have is to create a new connection. Why can I not reuse a Dataset already configured? 

4 REPLIES 4
ToddChitt
Super User
Super User

I see it now. The trick/bug is that the Connection String is CASE Sensitive! WTF?

This is what I have in place now for Data Source under the Gateway:

2022-10-18_7-07-39.jpg

If I create a Dataflow for ODBC, and type in a Connection String of "dsn=CData QuickBooks Sys" then I get this, and it associates with an existing Dataset:

2022-10-18_7-10-27.jpg

But my standard is to capitalize the "DSN", so I normally go for something like "DSN=CDataQuickBooks Sys" and I am offered this:

2022-10-18_7-12-47.jpg

Note that the Connection name is spelled EXACTLY the same as one that already exists.

The result is this:

2022-10-18_7-14-58.jpg

Please note how Power BI has NOT figured out that "DSN=..." is the same as "dsn=..." so it created a new one with "(2)" suffix, and ALSO that is then decided to LOWERCASE the "DSN" to make it "dsn".

Not for nothing, but if Connection Strings are CASE SENSITIVE, THEN POWER BI SHOULD NOT BE CHANGING THE CASE OF THE SPELLING!!!

You can't have it both ways. If the Connection String is CASE SENSITIVE, then don't change the case on me, the user. If it is NOT CASE SENSITIVE, then please accept "DSN=..." as a match to "dsn=..."

I still consider this a BUG, but not under the same title!

This user experience is horrible! When setting up a Dataflow, I should be allowed to PICK any existing ODBC Data Source BY NAME. I should NOT be required to spell out the Connection String WITH CASE MATCHING in order for it to figure out it is the same object! And oh, by the way, Power BI RENAMED your connection string behind your back from when you first typed it in and didn't tell you, so if you try to spell out that same connection string exactly as you did before during a subsequent setup, you are going to get a duplicate!

collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @ToddChitt ,

If you are just looking at the initial screen, it does appear that you need a new connection.  However, if you have an existing connection, when you put the data source connection string into the Connection Settings the connection and connection name will find the existing gateway connection.  (Assuming that you have the correct gateway selected lower in the selections options.)

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Sorry, @collinq but when I just type in the name (I actually went to the Gateways page, copied the Name to the clipboard and pasted it in the setting) I get a second Dataset with (2) appended to the name. 

Before and after:

HI @ToddChitt ,

I didn't see any screenshots, could you please repost?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors