Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

ed-freeman
Helper II
Helper II

Can a FREE user view a report configured to use RLS in an App backed by a Premium Capacity?

Say I have an App backed by a Premium capacity. Say I have a report which has row-level security (RLS) configured on its dataset.

If I share that App with a user that has a Free license, will the user be able to view the report configured to use RLS? (Of course, I would have assigned them to a role before asking them to view.)

I've seen old posts which indicate that RLS is a Pro-user-only feature, but there's nothing in the current documentation (that I can find) which suggests that. I've also seen posts which indicate that it does not work, but it's not been clear whether those scenarios were using a Premium-backed App.

Unfortunately I can't test this myself, as I don't currently have access to a Premium capacity.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@ed-freeman Yes it will surely work, I have done it many times. Here is  a full scenario:

- a workspace on premium capacity

- a dataset with RLS implemented

- users added to the dataset security (as a best practice it should be a group), users who need access to the app. These can be FREE users

- create an app

- add users or groups to the permission of the app so that user can install the app, these can be a FREE user

To test:

- install the APP (if it is not auto-installed)

and that's it, you will see that RLS is implemented based on the RLS rule and the user will see their own data.

If you need more information, let me know. I can share screenshots with all the details.

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

That should work with Premium capacity. Using Premium capacity you can absolutely have a Free user view a report backed by Premium capacity. The only reason I say *should* is the RLS. RLS is always a wild card but it absolutely should work.

The posts about Pro only feature were probably pre-Premium.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hi @Greg_Deckler ,

Thanks for the response.

Yes - it's the RLS part that I'm interested in finding a definitive answer to. It'd be easy to test, but I don't have access to a Premium capacity, so I'm wondering whether anyone knows the definitive answer from previous experience.

Regards,

Ed

@Mariusz @amitchandak @edhans @ImkeF @Anonymous @parry2k @VasTg @az38 @HotChilli @Ashish_Mathur anybody have a definitive answer on RLS, Premium and Free users?

Latest book!:

Hi @Greg_Deckler@ed-freeman 

I remember setting up Dynamic RLS on Premium capacity, and I can't recall any issues, it was working with a client over a year ago and I don't have a way of double-checking.

Maybe someone with more recent experience can confirm, but the below article does not state any issues.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-admin-rls

Best Regards,
Mariusz

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution.

Please feel free to connect with me.
LinkedIn

@ed-freeman Yes it will surely work, I have done it many times. Here is  a full scenario:

- a workspace on premium capacity

- a dataset with RLS implemented

- users added to the dataset security (as a best practice it should be a group), users who need access to the app. These can be FREE users

- create an app

- add users or groups to the permission of the app so that user can install the app, these can be a FREE user

To test:

- install the APP (if it is not auto-installed)

and that's it, you will see that RLS is implemented based on the RLS rule and the user will see their own data.

If you need more information, let me know. I can share screenshots with all the details.

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Excellent! Thanks for the assist @Mariusz and @parry2k ! 🙂

It's great when you can call in the calvary!

Latest book!:

Brilliant, thanks for your help everyone!

cc:/ @Greg_Deckler @parry2k @Mariusz 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors