Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

wojciech
Helper I
Helper I

CI/CD with incremental refresh partitions

Hi Community,

There are many ways to automate your PBI dataset deployment using tools such as PBI-tools, Tabular editor, DevOps Extensions, In-Line PowerShell - this is what I'm aware of at least. However, all these methods will overwrite incremental refresh partitions, and full dataset refresh will be required during or after deloyment. The only tool that can do a proper schema compare and update dataset with changes without a meed to run refresh is ALM toolkit. Howerer, there is no CLI for ALM toolkit so it can not be baked into DevOps pipeline (Am I correct)?

Is there any way to automate schema updates deployment for PowerBI datset?

Many Thanks,

Wojciech 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @wojciech 

Yes you can make a change to the entire JSON structure and then update it, that should not enforce a refresh. I would strongly suggest testing this before rolling it out to a production environment.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @wojciech 

As far as I am aware PBI-Tools and Tabular Editor allow you to deploy changes that will not overwrite the existing partitions. You should look at the options to just deploy the schema and not process the dataset?

Have you seen the recent TMDL presentation from SqlBits which explains how this is going to change and be a lot easier!..

The Future of Version Control for Tabular Models - Mathias Thierbach,Gabi Münster - YouTube

Power BI Blog

Hi @GilbertQ ,

I appreciate your reply.

I can see that you can run a command to update schema only, but you need to pass JSON defining what changes you want to push. I think the chellange for me is how to create that JSON structure which would define what changes there are between my source and and target database. 

I will dig into it.

Thanks for your help.

Wojciech

Hi @wojciech 

Yes you can make a change to the entire JSON structure and then update it, that should not enforce a refresh. I would strongly suggest testing this before rolling it out to a production environment.

Power BI Blog

Hi @GilbertQ ,

I will give it a try in test enviroment.

Thanks for coming back to me.

Wojciech

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors