Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

SteveD
Advocate II
Advocate II

Black border appears around random visuals

A border appears around a random visual when a report page is opened. The screenshot below illustrates a which appears around an icon visual. I've also seen the same behaviour around slicers as well. The border disappears when the focus is changed to another visual or part of a report.

SteveD_1-1667951598026.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-easonf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @SteveD 
As far as I know, the issue has been confirmed internally as a known issue. ICM ID: 347527225.

ETA_for_Fix: 12/31/2022

Power BI users may see black border appearing for some visuals in Power BI service. More details: When we select report page to other page in “Reading view” , it always positions to a random visual and shows a black border for the visual.

It's intermittent and no workaround was found. Engineers are working on the fix.

Please be patient to wait for fixing. 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23
elphmeisterB
Regular Visitor

I'm experiencing this as well recently. It didn't happen in the beginning, but just in the last month the black border now appears when I click on the navigation and visuals. When will this be fixed?

Andy_Rath

Whilst not a fix, it seems possible to control where the black box goes using the Selection Tab Order. If you put an object you don't mind having the box around as the first Tab order object the black box will move there (potentially you could hide that item but I've not tested that far). 

I've given this a go, unfortunately it doesn't work. I tried placing a transparent white square on each tab as the top layer item. When I tried this, I still get black frames on other visuals (not top layer).

CP12

Still happened as described above. Hopefully fixed soon. No timeline for this?

v-easonf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @SteveD 
As far as I know, the issue has been confirmed internally as a known issue. ICM ID: 347527225.

ETA_for_Fix: 12/31/2022

Power BI users may see black border appearing for some visuals in Power BI service. More details: When we select report page to other page in “Reading view” , it always positions to a random visual and shows a black border for the visual.

It's intermittent and no workaround was found. Engineers are working on the fix.

Please be patient to wait for fixing. 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

Anonymous
Not applicable

Any progress made regarding this topic?

Hi, @v-easonf-msft 

As I previously posted, the behavior does not seems to be random. I managed to control which visual is bordered simply by changing the layering of the visuals.

The bordered visual is, as far as I know, the one at the top layer.

Cheers.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm getting the same problem. Any solution?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just out of curiosity, are you still experiencing the same issues? I noticed this a couple of weeks ago on my grouped visuals and it still has not been resolved. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, we still experiencing this issues in a lot of reports, in many areas... 

Its still there and flagged as a known issue. A fix is scheduled for Nov/Dec.

ruiz07s
Regular Visitor

I'm experiencing the exact same issue, with it occurring about 2 weeks ago. Hoping PBI team fixes this asap, it's quite disconcerting when these black outlines flash on the screen each time you change tabs, especially when doing presentations / demos in Service.

tiagopedro
Frequent Visitor

Hi.

Turns out it is not random. You can check this by editing a report page. Just Ctrl+x then Ctrl+v any visual, save the report and then reopen the page. The visual you just pasted will be the one 'bordered'.

It seem that the 'top' visual (located at the front layer of the page) is auto selected when page is opened.

Cheers.

Ps: actually, that is not always the case though. I managed to do this with some of my reports, but not with all of them. Don't know why.

Ps2: In fact, the issue is related to ordering of the visuals. I wasn't able to reproduce the procedure above within PBI service (maybe because of refresh time, or whatever) but, by editing a report on desktop and reuploading the pbix file to the service, it worked. It's not a solution, but you can at least control which visual will be bordered, until MS fix come along.

For me, it looks like the last visual added is effected by the black border, regardless of layer order. Therefore, just add a small box, then layer behind a larger visual to hide it. That will be pretty annoying to maintain overtime, but I don't see another option.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting.  For me, it is happening to the first visual I added to my reports...

earcelli
Regular Visitor

We noticed the same problem yesterday. Black borders randomly appear around visuals.

Hope MS will fix it soon.

Telstar
Helper I
Helper I

Hi All

Am seeing this happening as well - noticed it just this week

Hopefully MS fix this behaviour

Telstar

blopez11
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

We are seeing this as well on various reports

ddk
Advocate II
Advocate II

Same issue.

When clicking on page titles, they randomly get a black border, is if they were "selected".

Same with some visuals on the page (apparently only images/buttons?).

ddk_0-1667997547106.png

Glenn_Rasmussen
Frequent Visitor

The same is happening for my reports.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors