Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

learning_dax
Helper II
Helper II

Best way to centralize data?? Dataflow??

Hi all,

I am trying to figure out the best way to centralize one large data set I have made with Power Query, and then a couple different versions of that dataset (mostly identical but with a couple different steps in Power Query (for example just a version of the dataset limited to Southern region sales). Most of my team uses the dataset I have made in Power Query but now some other teams want to use that same dataset but also manipulate it & add different sources and steps to it in Power Query along their own Power BI reports. What is the best way to go about this?  

Dataflows has many credentials/execution/refresh issues that I have never ran into doing ETL on Power BI desktop. However, having 10 different Power BI reports with 10 different datasets, especially for ad hoc analysis becomes very hard to track with refreshes and keeping up with the datasets. Are there better ways or any other suggestions as to how to build datasets & flows that are centralized but also have room for data manipulation (unlike Power BI datasets via Direct Query where you cannot add cleansing steps in Power Query). Also, is it possible for certain dataflows to prompt other dataflows to refresh like a hierarchy?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @learning_dax ,

I will answer the last question first - no, there is no way to automatically have one dataflow triggered from another one (you might be able to do this yourself with Power Automate though).

I think the best centralization, if you want to share a basic setup and let others manipulate it is to use the DataMart.  (Introduction to datamarts - Power BI | Microsoft Learn)   This is not quite ready for full prime-time yet but should be soon.  We are using it in production now already as well and it is working well and I think will work for what you explained above.  Using a DataMart would let you stage all your data and let the users use it and manipulate it /add filters to it as needed.

Otherwise, you could do a Dataflow or two and just let folks know what they have to do a filter here or there (I wouldn't have multiple versions - unless you are doing so based on security).

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @learning_dax ,

I will answer the last question first - no, there is no way to automatically have one dataflow triggered from another one (you might be able to do this yourself with Power Automate though).

I think the best centralization, if you want to share a basic setup and let others manipulate it is to use the DataMart.  (Introduction to datamarts - Power BI | Microsoft Learn)   This is not quite ready for full prime-time yet but should be soon.  We are using it in production now already as well and it is working well and I think will work for what you explained above.  Using a DataMart would let you stage all your data and let the users use it and manipulate it /add filters to it as needed.

Otherwise, you could do a Dataflow or two and just let folks know what they have to do a filter here or there (I wouldn't have multiple versions - unless you are doing so based on security).

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors