Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Imrans123
Advocate V
Advocate V

Best Practices for working with multiple Databases

Hello, 

Was wondering if anyone could help suggest best practices for a new project I am doing.

I have multiple SQL Server sources

For each source, I am creating a DataFlow and writing SQL Queries for each table, to transform the data to the column names that I want in my Power BI report and thereby avoiding most, if not all Power Query transformation (i.e. adding custom column, concatenating etc all done on the SQL Query). For this phase, my question is 

1. I am currently using Native Query (i.e. from within power BI, I select New Data Source > SQL Server > and in Advanced Options I am typing in my query.) Is it faster to have a saved view in the SQL Server Management Studio from where I am querying? Or is Native Query the same thing with respect to scalibility?

ONce I bring in my data from all my SQL Sources, all transformed to have the same column names, I will create a consolidated DataFlow where I append every table from all sources to create consolidated tables. Here my question is,

2. Is it faster to import all the data from all my SQL Sources into another Database instance like SQL Server, AzureSQl etc. and query from that consolidated Database? Or is appending the same thing with refards to Scalibity. 

I am looking into possibility multi million rows when consolidating all my SQL Sources, so hoping to start off with the best practices so it can scale smoothly. 

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Imrans123 

1- Yes it is always better to get a view directly from the source, faster to import a saved view.

2- Yes it is better to consolidate all the source into a Data Lake type of things.

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Imrans123 

1- Yes it is always better to get a view directly from the source, faster to import a saved view.

2- Yes it is better to consolidate all the source into a Data Lake type of things.

Regards
Amine Jerbi

and you can follow me on

Thanks AJ. Just out of curiosity, would you happen to know the refresh procedure with Power BI's native query is incremental?

Let's say with the query, I have loaded 100,000 rows. Before my next refresh, another 100 rows of data has been added in the source database. If I were to refresh the query, would Power BI Dataflows load the 100 new rows of data over the existing 100,000 rows, or will it load 100,100 as new.

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Yes, that's called incremental refresh feature in Power Bi. It is used for that purpose however you will need Premium Capacity License for that or PPU Premium per user, it depends on your needs.

Regards
Amine Jerbi

and you can follow me on

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors