Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Pandangus
Frequent Visitor

Best Practice for Configuring Dataflow Connections in Power BI Service?

Hello,

We have a number of semantic models that reads data from PBI dataflows. Each semantic model only reads data from dataflows, the dataflows import data from an on-prem database server via a gateway server. We have an AD service account setup for this connection to the database so that it is not tied to one particular user.

Once a semantic model has been published to the service the connection to dataflow has to be configured. The default seems to be to ‘Use an On-premises or VNet data gateway’ which, given that the dataflows are not ‘on prem’ but in the service, seems unnecessary. The other options are ‘Personal Cloud Connection’ or ‘Create a connection’ however there is a warning that these are not supported by Dataflows.

My question is what is the best practice here? I see no reason to use a gateway server but I do not want a cloud connection tied to my personal user.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kindest regards,

Angus

2 REPLIES 2
v-yohua-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Pandangus 

Thanks for the reply from Ibendlin, please allow me to provide another insight:

Ensure that the on-premises data gateway is installed and configured correctly. This involves setting up a gateway with the necessary permissions and ensuring that it can communicate with the on-premises database server. For detailed steps, see the documentation on installing and configuring the gateway:

On-premises data gateway - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

When configuring the data source in the gateway, continue to authenticate with the AD service account. This keeps the connection independent of the individual user account.

For dataflows, you shouldn't have issues with the connection to your on-premises database server after you've made sure that the gateway is in place and the data source is properly configured with the service account.
To get more insights and make sure you're following all the recommended practices, you can check the following link:

On-premises data gateway - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly 

Best Regards

Yongkang Hua

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Correct, you don't need a gateway to access a dataflow as a source from a semantic model.  UNLESS you chose to merge the dataflow with an on-prem data source. Hopefully you have not done that.

so - just leave it alone and ignore the alarmist text.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors