Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

BasNL
Regular Visitor

Automatically create local models based on perspectives in golden dataset.

I have a golden dataset which contains all (most) of the data I use for organizational reporting. Reports are built by connecting to this golden dataset (Power BI and Excel reports). The model is quite large but I would like to be able to build reports combining many different topics so ideally I would like to keep a single (golden) dataset. 

However the model is too large for analists to understand, and also contains many tables that are not applicable to them. This is why I created perspectives which shows subsets of the model. (And don't worry; I'm not using perspectives for security purposes).

Analists connect to the dataset using Excel or Power BI just select the golden dataset which contains everything and they cannot just select a perspective (afaik, I am aware that you could change the connection properties in Excel but that lacks user friendliness). So my idea was to use composite models and create a local model, with a live connection to the golden dataset where the perspective is pre-selected. Publish this dataset to the service, provide access to these datasets to the necessary analist groups and it actually works pretty good. The only issue is that each change in the golden dataset requires me to manually repeat this process because the perspective is not automatically updated, I'm assuming this is because the local model creates a copy of the XMLA code with a connection to the source model and this will not update automatically. 

So basically my question is: is it possible to automate the process of updating the local (perspective) models based on the current status of the perspectives in the golden dataset? Or is there a better way which I'm missing?

Cheers!

@dotykier Any idea on getting this done by using Tabular Editor? 

1 REPLY 1
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @BasNL 

As far as I am aware there is no other way to do this at the moment.

You can vote for the idea at https://ideas.powerbi.com

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors