Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

morteza
Helper I
Helper I

Automatic Refreshes while connected to SharePoint - Does it really work as explained by Microsoft?

Hi,

We have recently moved some of our report datasource files (mostly csv and xlsx) into SharePoint in order to eliminate the use of Gateway connecting to on-prem data sources in Power BI service. It works great especially with the source control features that enable multi-users have access to a single source of data.

We also set up a scheduled refresh for the dataset, then found out an article in Microsoft documentations that says we can use a feature known as "OneDrive refresh" and "by default, Power BI checks about every hour if a dataset connected to a file on OneDrive or SharePoint Online requires synchronization" (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/refresh-data#onedrive-refresh).

As per the article, this feature supposed to be seen under dataset settings like this sample screenshot displayed in the article:

morteza_0-1658339614765.png

However the settings menues apparently were changed and this option can't be seen in dataset settings anymore:

morteza_1-1658340877290.png

I also tried to replace the .csv file saved in SharePoint with a newer version and see if the report dataset will get refreshed within 1-2 hours after the changes, but didn't see anything happens.

Has anyone had the experience of using this feature as explained by Microsoft?

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-cgao-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @morteza ,

//If you created your datasets and reports based on a Power BI Desktop file, Excel workbook, or comma separated value (.csv) file on OneDrive or SharePoint Online, Power BI performs another type of refresh, known as OneDrive refresh. 

You need to use the above data source to trigger a OneDrive refresh, otherwise this option won't appear in the layout. My test process is as follows:

Suppose we have an excel file with a table in it:

vcgaomsft_5-1658742851606.png

Save in SharePoint.

vcgaomsft_1-1658742257923.png

Connect to excel file in SharePoint:

vcgaomsft_2-1658742596776.png

Create a report, here I simply create a table visual and save it.

vcgaomsft_3-1658742664001.png

Check for OneDrive refresh, enabled by default.

vcgaomsft_4-1658742777311.png

Go back to the data source location to edit the table.

vcgaomsft_6-1658742895907.png

It has been automatically refreshed after about ten minutes after editing.

vcgaomsft_7-1658743314059.png

Check the report, the data inside is up to date.

vcgaomsft_8-1658743460625.png

For your reference.

Best Regards,
Gao

Community Support Team

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-cgao-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @morteza ,

//If you created your datasets and reports based on a Power BI Desktop file, Excel workbook, or comma separated value (.csv) file on OneDrive or SharePoint Online, Power BI performs another type of refresh, known as OneDrive refresh. 

You need to use the above data source to trigger a OneDrive refresh, otherwise this option won't appear in the layout. My test process is as follows:

Suppose we have an excel file with a table in it:

vcgaomsft_5-1658742851606.png

Save in SharePoint.

vcgaomsft_1-1658742257923.png

Connect to excel file in SharePoint:

vcgaomsft_2-1658742596776.png

Create a report, here I simply create a table visual and save it.

vcgaomsft_3-1658742664001.png

Check for OneDrive refresh, enabled by default.

vcgaomsft_4-1658742777311.png

Go back to the data source location to edit the table.

vcgaomsft_6-1658742895907.png

It has been automatically refreshed after about ten minutes after editing.

vcgaomsft_7-1658743314059.png

Check the report, the data inside is up to date.

vcgaomsft_8-1658743460625.png

For your reference.

Best Regards,
Gao

Community Support Team

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data

m-colbert
Resolver II
Resolver II

Another way to address this issue is to setup a power automate flow trigger by the update of a file in SharePoint that will then trigger a refresh of the power BI Dataset. I use this quite often and works really well.

Hope this helps.

Helpful resources

Announcements
July 2024 Power BI Update

Power BI Monthly Update - July 2024

Check out the July 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

July Newsletter

Fabric Community Update - July 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.