Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DorienM
Helper II
Helper II

Auto-refresh report (not dataset) on a Teams Room Device.

Hey all, I have a number of reports configured in import mode published to the PowerBI service. They draw data from an on-premise data source through a data gateway. I have configured scheduled refresh for the dataset in PowerBI service and the dataset now refreshes once every three hours.

What I am wondering is this, can a user also have a report open on a Teams Room device and schedule the report itself to refresh automatically on a scheduled interval? I don't care about refreshing the dataset as that is already happening separately on its own, I just want to know if there is a way to set up what is essentially an F5 refresh for a report on a Teams Room device.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @DorienM ,

Based on the information you provided, your needs cannot be met.

There is a limit to the number of times a scheduled refresh report can be refreshed in a day, and Directquery is the best option. You can use Directquery to create your dataset and it will automatically refresh when people view the report. But you mentioned that reports don't have interactions, so this problem becomes tricky.

When a report doesn't have any interactions, it doesn't trigger a query and the report can't be refreshed.
The bottom line is that your report is in import mode, and unless you complete a scheduled refresh in Power BI, or re-upload it after updating the content, the report won't change.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @DorienM ,

This does not affect your ability to configure other refreshes, as your report refreshes in the embedded to Teams Room do not trigger the gateway until the refresh in Power BI Service is triggered, and you refresh the report information already provided by PowerBI.

Best Regards,

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-xiaoyan-msft,

Thanks for the reply, what I am looking to find out is how do I actually configure automatic report refresh on a Teams Room embedded report?

The use case is fairly simple, we have a Surface Hub that is going to be put into an executive's office. They want to be able to pull up a report, leave it on screen and have it automatically refresh throghout the day without any interaction. Is this possible, if so how do I set that up?

Regards,

Dorien

Hi @DorienM ,

Based on the information you provided, your needs cannot be met.

There is a limit to the number of times a scheduled refresh report can be refreshed in a day, and Directquery is the best option. You can use Directquery to create your dataset and it will automatically refresh when people view the report. But you mentioned that reports don't have interactions, so this problem becomes tricky.

When a report doesn't have any interactions, it doesn't trigger a query and the report can't be refreshed.
The bottom line is that your report is in import mode, and unless you complete a scheduled refresh in Power BI, or re-upload it after updating the content, the report won't change.

Best Regards,

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors