Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

andresvargas99
Regular Visitor

Authentication Type in Power BI Service

I have an online SQL server and I'm pulling information to Power BI. In the desktop, I can pull the information with no problem, as I have entered my credentials as Windows Authentication and Organizational Privacy Levels. Nevertheless, when I publish to Power BI service, I cannot enter my credentials. I have options that include like Basic and OAuth, but none allow me to sign in. 

Is there something that I'm missing? I don't think that I need a gateway because the only source that I have is online. Why am I able to pull the info in Desktop but not in the Service?

Thanks for the help.

1 REPLY 1
devesh_gupta
Super User
Super User

@andresvargas99 Even if your SQL Server is hosted online, you might still need to use an on-premises data gateway if your Power BI Service environment is not within the same network as your SQL Server. The gateway allows secure data transfer between your Power BI Service and your on-premises data sources. Ensure that you have the appropriate gateway configured if needed.

You can check the following steps:

1)After publishing your report to the Power BI Service, you may need to configure the data source settings within the service environment.

2)Go to the dataset settings in the Power BI Service, find your data source, and ensure that the credentials and connection details are correctly configured.

3)If Windows Authentication is not an option in the service, you may need to switch to another authentication method, such as Basic Authentication, and provide the necessary credentials.

If it helps, please mark it as an accepted solution so that other users can find it more easily.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors