Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

BIanon
Resolver I
Resolver I

Any tips on migrating .pbix files to SharePoint?

Hello Community,

I am currently migrating a bunch of datasets to SharePoint and am wondering what the best wayto do it is. Currently, the way I've done it is by:

1. Download .PBIX file from PBI Service

2. Upload to SharePoint
3. Upload to Service from SharePoint

4. This creates a duplicate of my current model since SP doesn't overwrite

5. I change which dataset the App is pointing to

6. Delete old model not hosted in SP

This works fine but I wouldn't be surprised if someone out there has a better way?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

No take this the wrong way, storing at sharepoint is a great idea for keeping a version history of your developments. The only step that might be weird is the importing from sharepoint that duplicate developments. When a developer uses the pbix can publish the work and upload to sharepoint.

That way it keeps the versioning and the dataset at Service.

I hope that helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. What a request. This is new haha. I think it might be reaaaaally tricky but not imposible. If your reports/datasets size are lower than 1gb, then you can use the Power Bi Rest API for downloading.

I think using Power Bi and Sharepoint API you could create the steps with a script.

1- Export pbix file from Service to local machine or keep it in memory with API

2- Upload it to sharepoint with API

3- Get it from sharepoint and import at service (this is the only step I'm not sure that will result in the same way as browsing sharepoint from the UI)

4- If the duplicate is create delete dataset with API

5- Update datasources of dataset (complex step)

6- I guess you have deleted this one on step 4

If step 3 can't be done you can split the script in two. That should help a while.

I hope that helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Thank you for your reply.

I am getting slightly worried by your reaction I have to admit - is it a bad idea to host the pbix files in SP?

It seems to offer some basic features like centralizing datasets, check in/out, basic version history and avoiding locking a pc down while waiting for a file to publish.
Am I missing some obvious and better way of handling this?

I will look into setting up a script for it, thank you

No take this the wrong way, storing at sharepoint is a great idea for keeping a version history of your developments. The only step that might be weird is the importing from sharepoint that duplicate developments. When a developer uses the pbix can publish the work and upload to sharepoint.

That way it keeps the versioning and the dataset at Service.

I hope that helps,

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors