Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

sm_accordion
Frequent Visitor

Analyze in Excel error

A co-worker in my organization has published a PBI Desktop model to the cloud and shared it with me as well.  He then used the "Analyze in Excel" feature which create an Excel file linked to the data model.  In the Excel model he created a pivot table, saved the model and sent me the model. 

I open the model, I click on Refresh All, and I get the following error "The HTTP server returned the following error:  Forbidden,  Activity ID:  FE0E4AAB-B7DE-4EFA-943B-B8B8F68F3302"

I understand that you cannot share these Excel files to those outside your organization, but I am in the same organization.  I've researched this error and a solution is to edit the ODC file, but only he would have the ODC file when he created the file orginally.

Anyone know how I can get this file to work?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @sm_accordion ,

I have tested on my side and it works well.

First, please log into Power BI with the account that has permission.

Then, please check if you meet these requirements:

• Analyze in Excel is supported for Microsoft Excel 2010 SP1 and later.

• Excel PivotTables do not support drag-and-drop aggregation of numeric fields. Your dataset in Power BI must have pre-defined measures.

• Some organizations may have Group Policy rules that prevent installing the required Analyze in Excel updates to Excel. If you’re unable to install the updates, check with your administrator.

• Analyze in Excel requires that the dataset be in Power BI Premium or that the user have a Power BI Pro license. To learn more about the differences in functionality between license types, take a look at the Power BI features comparison section of Power BI pricing.

• Users can connect to datasets through Analyze in Excel if they have read permission on the underlying dataset. A user could have this in several ways, such as being a member of the workspace containing the dataset, having a report or dashboard shared to them that uses the dataset, or having permission to an app that contains the dataset.

• The Analyze in Excel is a Power BI service feature, and is not available in Power BI Report Server or Power BI Embedded.

• Analyze in Excel is only supported on machines running Microsoft Windows.

For more details, you can refer to these documents:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-troubleshooting-analyze-in-excel#forbidden-error;

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-analyze-in-excel#requirements.

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @sm_accordion ,

I have tested on my side and it works well.

First, please log into Power BI with the account that has permission.

Then, please check if you meet these requirements:

• Analyze in Excel is supported for Microsoft Excel 2010 SP1 and later.

• Excel PivotTables do not support drag-and-drop aggregation of numeric fields. Your dataset in Power BI must have pre-defined measures.

• Some organizations may have Group Policy rules that prevent installing the required Analyze in Excel updates to Excel. If you’re unable to install the updates, check with your administrator.

• Analyze in Excel requires that the dataset be in Power BI Premium or that the user have a Power BI Pro license. To learn more about the differences in functionality between license types, take a look at the Power BI features comparison section of Power BI pricing.

• Users can connect to datasets through Analyze in Excel if they have read permission on the underlying dataset. A user could have this in several ways, such as being a member of the workspace containing the dataset, having a report or dashboard shared to them that uses the dataset, or having permission to an app that contains the dataset.

• The Analyze in Excel is a Power BI service feature, and is not available in Power BI Report Server or Power BI Embedded.

• Analyze in Excel is only supported on machines running Microsoft Windows.

For more details, you can refer to these documents:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-troubleshooting-analyze-in-excel#forbidden-error;

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-analyze-in-excel#requirements.

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for the reply.  I had thought the error was related to data being in an outside organization's Sharepoint (to which I have access to) but it seems to be working and refreshing properly now.

Thanks again for the info.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors