Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

RMDSPC
Frequent Visitor

Allow users to connect to PBI dataset in Excel without allowing edit rights to Service workspace

Hi all,

I need to allow users to connect to my Power BI datasets via Excel, but would like to avoid giving workspace access/edit rights to everyone, where they could directly affect content and reports.

Is there a middle ground between viewing and total report/dataset control? It seems to be not ideal that anyone who can play with your data can also delete/edit/etc. all your reports.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
cassidy
Power Participant
Power Participant

Giving build permissions to the Dataset can be separate from edit rights in the Workspace.

Manage Permissions on the Dataset to allow Build, but set the users right for the Workspace to Viewer.  Or, even better in my opinion, keep your Datasets in a seperate Workspace with no access to Users, with Reports in a viewable Workspace.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
cassidy
Power Participant
Power Participant

Giving build permissions to the Dataset can be separate from edit rights in the Workspace.

Manage Permissions on the Dataset to allow Build, but set the users right for the Workspace to Viewer.  Or, even better in my opinion, keep your Datasets in a seperate Workspace with no access to Users, with Reports in a viewable Workspace.

That did it, thanks. Wasn't aware that you could add permissions at a dataset level.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors