Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

karlk
Advocate I
Advocate I

All our reports in the Power BI service default to a visual when opened and page cannot be selected

Hi,

I've noticed some odd behaviour in my reports in the Power BI service very recently.  When I coded a report with some filters on this page for convenience these filters are now getting pushed down the filter pane because it's always displaying filters on this visual as soon as I open the report because a visual seems to be selected by default and then cannot be deselected.

This is going to be very confusing a certain reports for the end users because I want them to filter at page level, not necessarily visual level in the first instance (although I want them to have the flexibility to do so, so don't want to hide the visual filters).

Can anyone point me in the right direction to an announcement or documentation or whether it's a bug, please?

Thanks

Karl

11 REPLIES 11
Raida

Did you get any luck with this?

I've just opened up a report to give it a bit of a review and noticed this myself - one table is selected.  If I click anywhere on the 'sheet' that isn't another visual it remains selected.

If I click 'off' the sheet then it finally 'selects' the page.

Firstly it's annoying that the filters on the side panel aren't for the page - which is what my users expect.

Secondly the visual being selected means it's got the pale grey bar across the top with tools to interact with it - showing over the top of the nice borders and in the middle of the **bleep** page.

It's not just inconvenient, it's put out of whack the page design 😕

Hi,

This is a bug in the Power BI service and the fix is expected (fingers crossed) by the end of Jan 2024.

Yep - this is more than inconvenient, especially to a user who is unfamiliar with Power BI / the report.  

Thanks

Karl

Do you know if there's a bug tracker that's accessible to the public or did you have to directly contact them to get the estimate fix date?

Hi,

Update - I've just been testing a lot of my Power BI reports in the service and it looks like the problem has been resolved.

Thanks

Karl

Hi,

I'm also having this problem, when I open a report on Power BI Service one card visual is always selected by default and if I click anywhere on the page that isn't another visual it remains selected.

How did you do to solve this problem?

I just deleted that card visual and created again to test, now the same problem is happening but on the card visual next to it, the one the was created after it seems.

karlk
Advocate I
Advocate I

Hi,

This is different.  The specific issue is that when I opened up a report in the service until a few days ago by default my context was the page, it did not default to a specific visual.  Now, when I open up a report, the context defaults to one of the visuals (therefore showing its filters - which as useful and I don't want to hide) which is completely different behaviour.

I'm trying to understand if a change has been made to the service recently to implement this behaviour if it's a side effect of something else.

Thanks

Karl

I didn't read anything like this before. I don't think it's a Fabric update that change a semantic model. If you own the source file, just check it and publish again. Maybe a developer has changed something.

Regards

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Unfortunately, it's every report that's now displaying this behaviour.  I have tried re-publishing a report but to no avail.

I'll give this thread a bit of time then will most likely end up raising a support call.  If I do, I'll update with what comes back.

All of them? that's weird. Go with support or rise a ticket yes. Let us know on this post if there was an issue! thanks,

Regards

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. I don't think it's a bug. When developing at Power Bi Desktop you can lock filters yo avoid end users from changing it. You can read about it here:

https://radacad.com/power-bi-visualization-tip-hide-or-lock-the-filter-for-users

I hope that helps,

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors