Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

OneWithQuestion
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Alerting - options for sending data driven alerts or emails to users?

What are the current options for using alerts or email based notifications to inform users when specific conditions are met?

From what I have seen alerts only work if the user themselves pins a tile and activates an alert?

What we are looking at doing is setting up a system to track customer service issues before they go "stale".

After a call has been logged and in X status for so many days we want to send a daily alert out so someone looks into it.

We want to leverage row level security so groups and managers only see alerts and get alerts for departments and areas they are repsonsible for.

Can you please suggest some of the best options to achieve this?  Are alerts the ONLY option?

4 REPLIES 4
v-jayw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @OneWithQuestion ,

I'm not sure what's your underlying data structure looks like but I got an idea.

If you have date and status for each call in the table, you could try to calculate the most recent call and check if it's status is "X". If it is, calculate the date difference between today and the date of that records. At last, you could use this date difference as a visual and set an alert to it.

Best Regards,

Jay

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution
to help the other members find it.
collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @OneWithQuestion ,

You are correct that a person can set up an alert for themselves and not others.  And, there are only certain visuals types that can have an alert created on them.  This article explains how you could add a flow to the alert.

Set up data alerts for the Power BI dashboard - Power Apps | Microsoft Docs

But, i am wondering if a subscription might be able to report what you want?  To make this be as sepcific as you are suggesting though I would have a separate report for just the stale data and then have that as part of a subscription that goes out (daily if desired).  

I would appreciate Kudos if my response was helpful. I would also appreciate it if you would Mark this As a Solution if it solved the problem. Thanks!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

For the subscriptions, this is still in PBI right?

So I'd make a PBI report that is basically a data gride with a list of exceptions and if any rows populate (rows only populate for exceptions or issues) then it sends out the report.

If the report is empty, the subscription runs, but there is no data so nothing is sent?

Hey @OneWithQuestion ,

I was thinking that the subscription runs regardless of what is in the report - the subscription is not based on the data.  I guess you would have to test a subscription with a report that has no data in it.

I would appreciate Kudos if my response was helpful. I would also appreciate it if you would Mark this As a Solution if it solved the problem. Thanks!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors