Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

angelcastro

Administering power bi in your organization

I have an organization that wants to use Power BI connected with the source of information Azure SQL.

Must the users of my organization to accede to Power Bi's reports, be users of Office 365?? If this is a correct necesitaria scullery buys 365 do I negotiate?? Nowadays my users of my organization do not have Office 365.

3 REPLIES 3

@angelcastro Unless something has changed, my understanding of the licensing is such that you do not need an Office 365 account to use Power BI. However, Groups in Power BI rely on Exchange 365, and require a license to utilize the one drive space (file share). Ginger Grant did a nice write up on this here  under the header, "Licensing: The answer to Why Group Workspace Features Don’t Work"

This is August though, so I am not aware of whether there have been any changes. If you are going to implement this for a company, I would most certainly reach out to your rep to get the best deals and understand what you may want/need.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Thanks for the link to my blog as I am glad you have found it helpful when talking about Administering Power BI. I am working with a client now and setting up workspaces, and since they don't have licenses for Exchange for Office 365, they do not have a group one drive. We are working around that by putting the pbix file on a data share.  It appears that nothing has changed since I wrote the post regarding the way workspaces operate in Power BI.

Hi @angelcastro,

Even though Power BI works better together with Office 365, especially around collaboration features as @Seth_C_Bauer mentions, there are no restrictions to the scenario you have on the original post. Users do not need an Office 365 license for this.

Data for Everyone! We mean it

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors