Skip to main content
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

Regular Visitor

Adding a SharePoint data source with a service principal



I am trying to access files located in SharePoint Online. We would like to use a service principal for the authentication. But when I try to save the credentials I get the following error:


Service principal error
Unable to update connection credentials.
Invalid connection credentials.
The credentials provided for the SharePoint source are invalid. (Source at


This is what I enter in the data source



Authentication method: Service principal

Tenant ID: My tenant ID

Service Principle ID: The Application (client) ID from the Entra ID App registration

Service principle key: The value of the secret I created for the Entra ID App registration


The Entra ID App registration has the following API permissions



The service principal (Entra ID app) has Read permissions on the SharePoint site


What is it I am missing in order to get this to work 🙂 ?


Regards Erik

New Member


did you find a solution for this ? I habe now the same issue with the same error message. I tried also to create a Ticket but it was closed with the message Microsoft has no ressources and i sould contact a partner.



No, unfortunately no resolution yet. The case I have with Microsoft is still open.

New Member

Did you find a solution to this? I'm facing the same issue

Hi Mariza,


No, unfortunately I have not found a solution to this 😞


If you have managed to get it working, I would be happy to hear what I need to do.

Still no news? This problem is getting really annoying.



No, not yet.


I still have an open support ticket with Microsoft regarding this.


I do not know if it will result in a resolution yet. But I will update this thread once the case is closed.



Service Principle ID: The Application (client) ID from the Entra ID App registration, 
You need Object ID for the SP ID. Not Application ID. 


Hi @zhangjoe,


When we change from Application (client) ID to Object ID we got another error:



Any idea what might cause this?

Community Support
Community Support

Hi @vizerik ,

Have submitted this issue internal to confirm, would update here as soon as possible if there is any update about it.


Best Regards
Community Support Team _ Rongtie

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-rongtiep-msft  - We are facing a similar issue when trying to connect to a Sharepoint Online list from PowerBI Online using service principal as the authentication method. Wondering if you have got any guidance from your internal team 

Hi @v-rongtiep-msft,


Thank you for getting back to me!


It would be appreciated if you could come back to me no matter what info you get in the internal ticket you created.


I guess it could be an issue with Power BI.


But it could also be that there is something I have done wrong. If that is the case I would like some guidance on what I have to do in order to get it to work.


Just for your information. I found the below thread which sounds like a similiar issue I have.


Regards Erik

Helpful resources

Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

Power BI Carousel June 2024

Power BI Monthly Update - June 2024

Check out the June 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.


Fabric Community Update - June 2024

Get the latest Fabric updates from Build 2024, key Skills Challenge voucher deadlines, top blogs, forum posts, and product ideas.

Top Solution Authors