Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

PBI_hlpr1
Resolver I
Resolver I

Adding a PDF report as part of a PBI App

Hi all,

I have built a PBI app in my workspace and added a PBI Report with various sales analysis. So far so good.

I want now to add another section to display, to entitled App users, the full P&L Excel report available in my OneDrive. I do not want users to have the possibility to edit the P&L so I am planning to convert the Excel in PDF

I need your advice on the best way to display .PDF content into a PBI App section. Should I build a webpage for this? What should I use for building it? Where should the webpage being stored?

The same should be done also for app related documentation (also in PDF).

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

C.

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-yueyunzh-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi , @PBI_hlpr1 

According to your description, you want to prevent other users from modifying your excel and want to convert excel to pdf.
First of all, as a data connection tool, Power BI can only obtain the source data and cannot modify the source data. And both OneDrive and Excel support setting the management of file permissions, you can manage the permissions of your files in the data source.

For this , you can refer to :
FIX: This workbook was opened in read-only mode [Office 365] (windowsreport.com)

If you still want to convert to a pdf file, you can also put your pdf file on Onedrive, and then use Power BI to connect to get the corresponding data:
Read and Import Data from PDF Files using Power BI (mssqltips.com)

How to connect in Power BI Desktop to PDF and why you should | Foxit

Thank you for your time and sharing, and thank you for your support and understanding of PowerBI! 

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

View solution in original post

Thanks @v-yueyunzh-msft , this helps!

When displaying the excel file in the App I still see the "Edit in Excel" option available. Likely this is just because I am the owner of the file?

On linking to PDF files I did not mean linking to the data content of the file (tables, etc.) but actually to the PDF "image" for example in case of documentation/instruction for the app. Probably I need to create a webpage somewhere for this?

Hi, @PBI_hlpr1 

Thank you very much for your reply!
As for your Excel permissions, my understanding is that as long as you configure the corresponding permissions in the data source, other people cannot edit them. As the owner of the file, it should have editing permission by default.
Secondly, if you want to insert an image in Power BI, you can directly put your image into a cloud library such as OneDrive, and then insert it into our Power BI in the form of url.

How to Insert Images in Power BI (Step-by-Step) - 2021 (spreadsheeto.com)

How to add Image to Power BI Dashboard (tutorialgateway.org)

Thank you for your time and sharing, and thank you for your support and understanding of PowerBI! 

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

3 REPLIES 3
v-yueyunzh-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi , @PBI_hlpr1 

According to your description, you want to prevent other users from modifying your excel and want to convert excel to pdf.
First of all, as a data connection tool, Power BI can only obtain the source data and cannot modify the source data. And both OneDrive and Excel support setting the management of file permissions, you can manage the permissions of your files in the data source.

FIX: This workbook was opened in read-only mode [Office 365] (windowsreport.com)

If you still want to convert to a pdf file, you can also put your pdf file on Onedrive, and then use Power BI to connect to get the corresponding data:
Read and Import Data from PDF Files using Power BI (mssqltips.com)

How to connect in Power BI Desktop to PDF and why you should | Foxit

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

Thanks @v-yueyunzh-msft , this helps!

When displaying the excel file in the App I still see the "Edit in Excel" option available. Likely this is just because I am the owner of the file?

On linking to PDF files I did not mean linking to the data content of the file (tables, etc.) but actually to the PDF "image" for example in case of documentation/instruction for the app. Probably I need to create a webpage somewhere for this?

Hi, @PBI_hlpr1 

Thank you very much for your reply!
As for your Excel permissions, my understanding is that as long as you configure the corresponding permissions in the data source, other people cannot edit them. As the owner of the file, it should have editing permission by default.
Secondly, if you want to insert an image in Power BI, you can directly put your image into a cloud library such as OneDrive, and then insert it into our Power BI in the form of url.

How to Insert Images in Power BI (Step-by-Step) - 2021 (spreadsheeto.com)

How to add Image to Power BI Dashboard (tutorialgateway.org)

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors