Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

spehe
Frequent Visitor

Adding Odata connection to on-premise Gateway fails with error message about credentials

Hello,

I have made report in PowerBI Desktop that works fine. Also, when I paste the Odata url into a web browser, it returns data correctly. But after publishing the report on PowerBI.com and wanting to set a scheduled update, it will not add the connection to the Gateway.

GW.png  Any help would be deeply appreciated.

10 REPLIES 10
spehe
Frequent Visitor

This is really strange.
PowerBI Desktop -> Odata -> NAV 2017 - OK

Web browser -> Odata -> NAV 2017 - OK

PowerBI.com -> SQL query -> NAV 2017 - OK

PowerBI.com -> Odata via Gateway -> NAV 2017 - "InvalidConnectionCredentials".

I have been looking everywhere, without any luck. Has anyone successfully set up a connection from PowerBI.com to a NAV 2017, using an on-prem Data Gateway? If so, what should I look for? Any help is deeply appreciated.

spehe
Frequent Visitor

Hi Sergej,

where do I find the Service tenant?

Your Power BI Service is meant by that.
Sorry for the inaccurate wording.
In your Service you can add new connections to your gateway. I hope you have already one running.

Aaah! Ok, then I understand. Actually, that is exactly what I cannot do, that's when I get the error message.

Ok, do you have access to a person who can add one new connection to the gateway?
You are not an admin in Service, right?
Also you can ask an Service admin to give you permissions to use your Service gateway. With such permissions you can add new conncetions to the gateway.

Yes I am an Admin for PowerBI, and I can create a new connection but it will throw the same error message.

ok, you are here?

sergej_og_0-1695910739861.png

and then here to add new one?

sergej_og_1-1695910951761.png

And then you get after giving credentials an error?

Regards

Yes.

spehe_1-1695912668049.png

spehe_2-1695913043043.png

It looks to me like there is a problem on the source side...concering error message.

sergej_og
Super User
Super User

Hey @spehe ,
can you create/add this one connection in your Service tenant under Gateway connections?

Reagrds

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors