Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

RobPhos

Adding Custom Fields from Dynamics CRM to PowerBI Online

Hi guys

I'm a newbie to PowerBI. Using the Content Pack Library and choosing Dynamics CRM as a service I have managed to import all our organisations CRM data into PowerBI, the issue i have is that this seems to import the default CRM data fields in fine, i can't see a way however to get data from any new fields that we have added. For example, we have added a new industry field to replace the field that comes with Dynamics CRM has standard. I can't see how to use our new field instead of the original field however in reports.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards,

Rob

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@RobPhos Hey Rob, You will have better luck using the Power BI Desktop to connect to your data sources. It will also allow you to make changes to the dataset, where in the Service you can't do that. The Content Pack in the Service will only provide you with a "stock" model that was built for quick reports and dashboards, if you've customized things, you won't find what you're looking for.

The connection method you will most likely end up using is Odata... and that is a long path to pull out everything the way you want it. We eventually settled on a 3rd party tool call Kingswaysoft to pull down all the Online data into a local db.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have more questions.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

@RobPhos Hey Rob, You will have better luck using the Power BI Desktop to connect to your data sources. It will also allow you to make changes to the dataset, where in the Service you can't do that. The Content Pack in the Service will only provide you with a "stock" model that was built for quick reports and dashboards, if you've customized things, you won't find what you're looking for.

The connection method you will most likely end up using is Odata... and that is a long path to pull out everything the way you want it. We eventually settled on a 3rd party tool call Kingswaysoft to pull down all the Online data into a local db.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have more questions.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Thanks, I'll give Power BI Desktop a go.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors