Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

TePe
Helper III
Helper III

Add Power BI to onmicrosoft.com domain

Hi,

I created a xxx.onmicrosoft.com domain (using the AAD service on Azure). I added a user and registered it on Power BI. All is fine but this user is no Office/Power BI admin so I don't have any permissions to manage the Power BI environment for the newly created tenant (assigned to the xxx.onmicrosoft.com domain I created). 

Any idea how I can make it an admin or create another user which then is an admin?

THANKS

Thomas

4 REPLIES 4
v-rongtiep-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @TePe ,

There are several roles that work together to administer Power BI for your organization. Most admin roles are assigned in the Microsoft 365 admin center or by using PowerShell. 

• To assign users to an admin role in the Microsoft 365 admin center, follow these steps.
  • You can also assign users to roles by using PowerShell. Users are managed in Azure Active Directory (Azure AD).

To learn how to assign admin roles, see Assign admin roles.

Best Regards
Community Support Team _ Rongtie

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-rongtiep-msft ,

THANKS for the feedback... However you touched the critical point here. I just created that xxxx.onmicrosoft.domain and tried to open the Admin Center. Unfortunately it says that I don't have permissions to open it. The exact error message is: 

Switch to an account that has permission

Your account (xxx@xxx.onmicrosoft.com) doesn’t have permission to view or manage this page in the Microsoft 365 admin center.

The problem is that my user is the first and only user in that domain. So how can I give it admin permissions when no other user exists which might have higher access rights?

Best Regards,

Thomas

Hi @TePe ,

The first users who create the O365 tenant will be assigned as global admin. You can use PowerShell command to find the administrators. Please see: Find what users have been assigned as Global Admins in Office 365 via PowerShell

Best Regards
Community Support Team _ Rongtie

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-rongtiep-msft Thanks for the instant feedback!!!

I tried to follow the instructions. Seems like I can't access this script as well... So as outlined in the blog I tried to connect PS with O365 first (as described in the linked article). While the Get-Credential worked and I supplied the credentials of the only user I have in that domain, I get an error:
New-PSSession : [ps.outlook.com] Connecting to remote server ps.outlook.com failed with the following error message :

Access is denied. For more information, see the about_Remote_Troubleshooting Help topic.
At line:1 char:12
+ $SESSION = New-PSSession -ConfigurationName Microsoft.Exchange -Conne ...
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : OpenError: (System.Manageme....RemoteRunspace:RemoteRunspace) [New-PSSession], PSRemotin
gTransportException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : AccessDenied,PSSessionOpenFailed

I tried that with my work domain, same error. So I suspect that I need to be an admin to find out which admins are there ;-). However I tried that with a user which is an admin for another domain and I got the same error... Maybe the blog is just outdated, it's from 2014...

But I took your inspiration and searched for other ways to find out global admins... And I found this blog: List all Office 365 Global Administrators with Powershell (tachytelic.net). This worked for me and I now understand that for a xxx.onmicrosoft.com domain there might be already "unexpected" admins (there are already admins which are guests from another domain). This helps now a lot and I might be able for find out the next steps...

Thanks for your support!

Thomas

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors