Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

TimG123
Frequent Visitor

Add Power BI Dataflows as Data Source in Gateway

Hi All,

Regular reader, first time poster here, forgive me if this comes out as a load of waffle or if it's been asked before.

Background: I have a Pro Licence and use Power BI dataflows to extract and prep a lot of the data I use in my Datasets, therefore I have a lot of datasets reliant on a connection to Power BI dataflows.

I have had a lot of scheduled and manual refreshes on datasets fail lately because the "Data Source Credentials" used for the datasource PowerBI  are invalid. When I edit the credentials, sign in and try refreshing again, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't and I can't work out why.

I have an On Prem Data Gateway installed so I think the resolution is to add Power BI Dataflows as a datasource on the gateway - however, when I turn the Gateway connection on for the dataset it tells me the datsource cannot be added to the gateway:

TimG123_0-1660657047359.png

I have amended the Gateway settings to allow cloud data sources (see below) so is there something else I need to do or am I trying to do something that isn't possible?

TimG123_1-1660657333142.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
otravers
Community Champion
Community Champion

I would investigate the failed credential issues with Microsoft support before considering a convoluted workaround that adds another failure point to your architecture. 

------------------------------------------------
1. How to get your question answered quickly - good questions get good answers!
2. Learning how to fish > being spoon-fed without active thinking.
3. Please accept as a solution posts that resolve your questions.
BI Blog: Datamarts | RLS/OLS | Dev Tools | Languages | Aggregations | XMLA/APIs | Field Parameters | Custom Visuals

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
otravers
Community Champion
Community Champion

I would investigate the failed credential issues with Microsoft support before considering a convoluted workaround that adds another failure point to your architecture. 

1. How to get your question answered quickly - good questions get good answers!
2. Learning how to fish > being spoon-fed without active thinking.
3. Please accept as a solution posts that resolve your questions.
BI Blog: Datamarts | RLS/OLS | Dev Tools | Languages | Aggregations | XMLA/APIs | Field Parameters | Custom Visuals

Thanks, I contacted Micrsosoft support and was advised to update my gateway. 

Power BI Dataflows then appeared as an option under "Data Source Type" when adding a source to the gateway - it wasn't n option prior to the update. I have added this as a source on my gateway and have turned the gateway connection on for all of my datasets connected to Dataflows - no refresh failures so far... 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors