Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

CupidC
Helper II
Helper II

Accessing Public Shared Point Folder

Hi Everyone,

I have a question regarding the integration of a public share point folder into our Power BI.

We are trying to access a publicly available stocklist from one of our suppliers, which is updated daily. Ideally, we want to connect to this data directly through power bi. However, we are encountering authorisation issues when trying to establish a connection, despite the fact that the folder is publicly accessible via the internet.

Here is the link to the folder:

https://ellenby.sharepoint.com/:f:/s/Sales/EgFUWBOoUCRFlRZUcyxlaxUBwUd_KNUAIxbUWI98ftaXTw?e=NbD56e

Any insights or suggestions on how to resolve this connection issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
christinepayton
Super User
Super User

You need to use authentication with SharePoint sources for Power BI. The "public" access sharing is via sharing link, which won't work in the SharePoint connectors. What I would do is have the organization "share" access to the content with your Microsoft account explicitly via granting actual permission on the files or site (preferably the site). If you can get added as a site member, that would be more foolproof. I just tested this with my external account on my tenant and it worked (I wasn't sure if it'd work for external users - looks like it does!). 

Then you need the site URL or actual file path to connect (depending on the connector you're using), which will be a little bit of a different format from the one you have now. It won't have the :f/s in it, it usually has a format like https://rootname.sharepoint.com/sites/sitename instead.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
christinepayton
Super User
Super User

You need to use authentication with SharePoint sources for Power BI. The "public" access sharing is via sharing link, which won't work in the SharePoint connectors. What I would do is have the organization "share" access to the content with your Microsoft account explicitly via granting actual permission on the files or site (preferably the site). If you can get added as a site member, that would be more foolproof. I just tested this with my external account on my tenant and it worked (I wasn't sure if it'd work for external users - looks like it does!). 

Then you need the site URL or actual file path to connect (depending on the connector you're using), which will be a little bit of a different format from the one you have now. It won't have the :f/s in it, it usually has a format like https://rootname.sharepoint.com/sites/sitename instead.

collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @CupidC ,

I was able to go to the web and see this document online without issue.  However, this appears to be a "view only" file.  I tried with both "Web" and "SharePoint Folder" data connections and got the sign on permissions issue with both types.

I am wondering if you can either:

1. Get a userid and password and then put that into a gateway 

OR

2. Have the sender modify the permissions on the file to allow you to "edit" 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors