Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

daaa
Advocate I
Advocate I

Access to Power BI datasets in composite model

I have a composite model consisting of multiple Power BI datasets with a directquery connection, and some imported data from a SQL database.

The gateway setup looks as follows:

Udklip.PNG

Everywhere it says "Optional - Add to gateway" is the directquery connections to Power BI datasets.

Question:

When I share the report from this composite model, the users cannot see anything, unless I share every single Power BI dataset that is used in the directquery connection, which is quite a chore. Is there any workaround for this? I tried adding a gateway connection for all these optional ones, but could not get it to work.

3 REPLIES 3
daaa
Advocate I
Advocate I

Hi @lbendlin and thank you for your response.
Could you elaborate why my Sharepoint connection is unfortunate? I understand its related to it showing both under data sources and cloud connections.

Generally you don't need a gateway for Online data sources like Sharepoint. There is one exception - when you made the (unfortunate) decision to merge SharePoint data with on-prem data in Power Query (Don't ever do that again!).

After you added the SharePoint query to the gateway you can never ever remove it again. It's a curse.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

When I share the report from this composite model, the users cannot see anything, unless I share every single Power BI dataset that is used in the directquery connection, which is quite a chore.

If you share a report (via the app!!!) that is based on a composite model including datasets residing in other apps then your report users must register/install both your app and ALL the other apps for these datasets.

Some capacity/tenant admins may allow automatic installation of apps. It would alleviate your scenario somewhat, but this is generally a VBI. 

Your gateway setup is fine. Don't touch that. (Apart from that Sharepoint connection - that is unfortunate.)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.

February 2024 Update Carousel

Power BI Monthly Update - February 2024

Check out the February 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Fabric Career Hub

Microsoft Fabric Career Hub

Explore career paths and learn resources in Fabric.

Fabric Partner Community

Microsoft Fabric Partner Community

Engage with the Fabric engineering team, hear of product updates, business opportunities, and resources in the Fabric Partner Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors