Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

aztangirov

Aborting a running query in Snowflake via Power BI

When a reporting query runs in backend (Snowflake), is there a possibility to cancel that query from web version of Power BI? For example, a user selects a wrong table or it takes a long time for the report to run.
Absence of such a feature wastes resources from Snowflake side since the query is still running in backend, although the user does not need the results anymore.

We tried it with simply closing the reporting window in Power BI, but the corresponding query still runs in Snowflake until the full execution finishes.

In general, if there is no such a feature, would it be possible (as a developer) to adjust the Snowflake - Power BI connector to fire a query cancellation function - SYSTEM$CANCEL_QUERY<query_id> ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-janeyg-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @aztangirov 

AFAIK, It seems that there is no such cancel feature, if you don’t want to view the data in real time, you can use the import mode. It only sends the query when refreshed.

You can also sumbit your idea here. Hope it will appear soon.

Did I answer your question ? Please mark my reply as solution. Thank you very much.
If not, please feel free to ask me.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Janey

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
aztangirov

Hi Janey,

thanks for the reply. I submitted the idea in the link you provided.

Can the feature be added only from Microsoft's side or we can still adjust the Snowflake - Power BI connector ourselves to develop such a custom feature?

Basically, it should get the query id and pass the cancel query command to Snowflake:

SYSTEM$CANCEL_QUERY<query_id>

@aztangirov  I think it's hard for you to develop it yourself, so do I.

Best Regards,

v-janeyg-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @aztangirov 

AFAIK, It seems that there is no such cancel feature, if you don’t want to view the data in real time, you can use the import mode. It only sends the query when refreshed.

You can also sumbit your idea here. Hope it will appear soon.

Did I answer your question ? Please mark my reply as solution. Thank you very much.
If not, please feel free to ask me.

Best Regards,

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors