Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Spiedo
Helper I
Helper I

A published composite model requires the powerbi dataset to be part of the gateway

I made a composite model of an on-premises analysis services tabular model together with a powerbi dataset stored in the service. The analysis tabular model has an on-premise gateway connection which works well. 

When using the direct query mode, which creates a local model, combining the powerbi dataset and the tabular model looks to work fine on the desktop. When publishing, moving to the gateway>settings it says the powerbi dataset should be part of the same gateway as the analysis model. It has a red cross in front of it.

So this looks odd to me:

- it shouldn't be needed to add a powerbi dataset to the on-premise gateway because it is already in the cloud

- and if i try i don't get it to work

As a result the deployed report might not work correct.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Oke it works fine now.

I had to enter the data source references for the powerbi dataset. 

Although it still shows a red cross in the gateway section for the powerbi dataset (not for the on-premise analysis service) the dataset is refreshable and usable in reports

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Spiedo
Helper I
Helper I

Hi @GilbertQ thanks for the response. 

It is an analysis service on-premise which acts via the gateway. 

I combine it with a powerbi dataset. In the desktop it works  well, once published, when i want to query the published dataset via excel i get the following response once connectiing

Spiedo_2-1685696442070.png

When looking in the gateway settings of the dataset it says the powerbi dataset should be added to the same gateway as the analysis services

Spiedo_1-1685692815395.png

Oke it works fine now.

I had to enter the data source references for the powerbi dataset. 

Although it still shows a red cross in the gateway section for the powerbi dataset (not for the on-premise analysis service) the dataset is refreshable and usable in reports

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Spiedo 

Is the "The analysis tabular model has an on-premise gateway connection which works well. " a Azure Analysis Services database?

If so I am not sure if you can have a composite model that can go via your On-premise gateway because the gateway used for Azure Analysis Services is different from the Power BI On-premise gateway.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors