Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

trying to figure out Power BI Report Server benchmark specs

wHello,

I am trying to see how much Cores/CPU plus memory we need for maybe 500-1k users connectivity (though we have some Power BI reports that will be front Web UI, so we need to determin that as well), i came across this article from Gigxp.com:

https://www.gigxp.com/powerbi-report-server-performance-tuning/

and they show about 1k users for 8cores 32 gigs of memory etc., but i am not sure what this means?

Workload Bench8 Core & 32 GB RAM16 Core & 64 GB RAM
Power BI Report Heavy (PBIX) (>60%)1,000 users3,000 users
Paginated (RDL) Report Heavy (SSRS) (>60%)2,000 users3,200 users
PBIX Heavy Reports50 Concurrent user loads150 Concurrent user loads
SSRS Heavy Reports100 Concurrent users160 Concurrent users
PBIX Heavy Reports (Total User base)10003000
SSRS Heavy Reports (Total User Base)20003200

can anyone make sense of it and what it means 50 concurrent user loads? it shows 1000 users above so i am confused what the one highlighted in blue means? any idea?

anyway we can determine the cpu/cores, memory will need for any front facing Embedded Web UI power bi report it will need?

thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous wrote:

can anyone make sense of it and what it means 50 concurrent user loads? it shows 1000 users above so i am confused what the one highlighted in blue means? any idea?

"Concurrent" means at the same time. So with a Power BI report, the only time there is load on the server is when a report first renders when a user clicks on it or when the click on a slicer or visual (triggering the spinning dots loading indicator). So this table is saying that although you might have 1000 people with permission to run reports, the assumption is that only 50 of them will be clicking on reports at exactly the same time. (once the report has finished rendering on the users screen it does not consume any significant CPU / Memory resources on the server until they click on something else)

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous wrote:

"Concurrent" means at the same time. So with a Power BI report, the only time there is load on the server is when a report first renders when a user clicks on it or when the click on a slicer or visual (triggering the spinning dots loading indicator). So this table is saying that although you might have 1000 people with permission to run reports, the assumption is that only 50 of them will be clicking on reports at exactly the same time. (once the report has finished rendering on the users screen it does not consume any significant CPU / Memory resources on the server until they click on something else)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.