Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

sankycse

publish reports to power bi report server

Hi,

I have installed and configure Power BI Report Server and its running on my localhost. Now when I try to publish an existing report to that report server it gets error saying "unsupported data source or embedded data. This preview version only support power BIDesktop reports that connect live to SQL Server Analysis services". So my questions are the following

1. What are the on-premise options to publish existing reports both paid and free?
  2. Is there any tweak to upload the models from power BI to SQL Server analysis service so that I don't need to create all these reports again?
  3. What are the liscences to buy and cost if we go for production to host this reports server on cloud?

Thanks in advance.

4 REPLIES 4
Jon-Heide
Employee
Employee

Hi Sankycse -

1. This preview version only support power BIDesktop reports that connect live to SQL Server Analysis services". So my questions are the following -- Correct, the June version supports only live connections to AS. We are aware of the limitation and support for additional data sources is planned for later this year.  
  2. What are the on-premise options to publish existing reports both paid and free? -- Not sure I follow the question. Publishing PBIX reports from Desktop will require a Pro License for production usage.
  3. Is there any tweak to upload the models from power BI to SQL Server analysis service so that I don't need to create all these reports again? -- It's a common question. We are looking into support for moving PBIX embedded models to SSAS via SSDT/Visual Studio. Stay tuned.
  4. What are the liscences to buy and cost if we go for production to host this reports server on cloud? -- You can look at the licensing pages on PowerBI. https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/. You license the cores for PBI Report Server through PowerBI Premium capacity or SQL Enterprise EE + SA.

Very helpful Jon-Heide!  I was hoping you might be willing to clarify question three for me further.  I'm fairly certain I'm reading this correctly, but basically it means that at this time, no existing reports can be used via the power bi report server.  Is that correct?  It isn't the end of the world if so, but I'd rather not remake everything and later find out it wasn't necessary.

Thanks!

Sure, no problem. If you have an existing PowerBI Report AND it uses AS live connect, then it will work as-is. If you have an existing PowerBI Report and it uses local data or any non AS datasource, then unfortuantely you would need to redo it.

As you suggested, we are looking at adding support for (1) the ability to promote local models inside a PBI report to AS (2) adding support for local data & other data sources to the report server in upcoming releases.

Thank you for the clarification!  

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.