Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

naifAhmedB
Helper II
Helper II

how to share reports outside the company in the free version?

Hi,

I am new to power Bi and using the free version

I want to know how can I connect my company server to get data , model it and share it in a report outside the company.

I am a bit lost between what i can do in power bi desktop , server and whats in the free version.

Please simplifiy it for me

Thanks.

Note: I read about this and still confused. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @naifAhmedB ,

for the last part, can anyone with internet see the report or only people who got the link?

If you use the publish to web functionality, anyone on the Internet can view your published report or visual

Also, if the client got the link do they need to "login" to see the report?

Viewing requires no authentication.

so basiscly if I paid 9.99$ a month for the pro  , My client has to pay also 9.99$ right?

If you use the publish to web functionality, your client don't need to pay 9.99$.

Reference: Publish to web from Power BI

In addition, you can refer to these articles to check the differences among different licenses:

Power BI service features by license type;

What are the Differences Between Power BI Free, Power BI Pro and Power BI Premium?;

Power BI features comparison;

Power BI Premium calculator.

Best regards

Icey

If this post helps, then consider Accepting it as the solution to help other members find it faster.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

So there is no difference in Power BI Desktop between the free and paid versions.

But in the free version you can only view reports yourself. As soon as you want to share reports with anyone else you need a pro license. And unless you are hosting the report on a premium capacity the person viewing the shared report will also require a pro license.

The only exception to this is that you can use the publish to web functionality, but this makes the report available to anyone in the world with an internet connection, so you typically do not want to do this with company data.

Thank you for the answer

for the last part, can anyone with internet see the report or only people who got the link?

so basiscly if I paid 9.99$ a month for the pro  , My client has to pay also 9.99$ right?

Hi @naifAhmedB ,

If you use the publish to web functionality, anyone on the Internet can view your published report or visual

Viewing requires no authentication.

If you use the publish to web functionality, your client don't need to pay 9.99$.

Reference: Publish to web from Power BI

In addition, you can refer to these articles to check the differences among different licenses:

Power BI service features by license type;

What are the Differences Between Power BI Free, Power BI Pro and Power BI Premium?;

Power BI features comparison;

Power BI Premium calculator.

Best regards

Icey

If this post helps, then consider Accepting it as the solution to help other members find it faster.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.