Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

moshfish4000

Will Power BI RS get enhanced metadata?

Hiya,

I have a couple of 3rd party Power BI dashboards that I need to migrate to our Power BI Report Server instance.

Unfortunately the dashboards were created with a version of Power BI Desktop with enhanced metadata enabled. 

I've tried a number of things to transform the dashboards back into a non enhanced metadata state and nothing has worked so far.

So I'm kindof resigned to having to recreate the dashboards in Power BI RS - which is a pain as they are quite complex.

Before I head down that path though - Does anyone know if there is any plan to upgrade Power BI RS to support enhanced metadata in the future? I don't want to do this work only to find the next release of Power BI RS supports enhanced metadata 🙂

Many thanks for any help 

Cheers

Mal

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

So the short answer to your question is yes it will get the enhanced metadata in the next release which has been delayed by 1 month so that this can happen (see https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/release-update-for-sept-2020-release-of-power-bi-report-ser...)

@moshfish4000 wrote:

Unfortunately the dashboards were created with a version of Power BI Desktop with enhanced metadata enabled. 

However to use the new metadata this means that the reports have been created with the cloud version of Power BI Desktop which means that there could be other functionality (like other preview features) which has been enabled which may prevent them from working in Report Server. There is no way to know for sure until the Oct 2020 release comes out so that you can see if it works or not.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

So the short answer to your question is yes it will get the enhanced metadata in the next release which has been delayed by 1 month so that this can happen (see https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/release-update-for-sept-2020-release-of-power-bi-report-ser...)

@moshfish4000 wrote:

However to use the new metadata this means that the reports have been created with the cloud version of Power BI Desktop which means that there could be other functionality (like other preview features) which has been enabled which may prevent them from working in Report Server. There is no way to know for sure until the Oct 2020 release comes out so that you can see if it works or not.

Many thanks 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.