Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

giwi
Frequent Visitor

What is the meaning of the PBIRS.OLD folder?

Hi,
when i upgrade PowerBI RS (OnPrem), the previous Version is stored in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Power BI Report Server\PBIRS.OLD. Is ist possible to switch back to this Version when i restore the sql database too?
I never tried before but the upgrade document describe for example, that some files should be backup (see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/report-server/upgrade#backing-up-the-configuration-files)

But why should i backup the files when it´s already store in PBIRS.OLD Folder?

Thanks for helping/solution
Best regards
Wilfried

1 REPLY 1
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

The big problem I've seen with PBIRS.OLD is firstly that I do not believe it is documented, so it may not always be available in the future. Therefore it's safer to make sure you have a manual copy of the configuration files. 

The second issue I've seen is that most people's inital response when they get an error while installing an update is to try re-running the installer. This then overwrites PBIRS.OLD and if your config files have been corrupted you then have to re-create them from memory.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.