Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Share content with Premium per user license

Hello,

In my organization we are testing license Premium per user and we want to be sure about the sharing capabilities of it.

If I have a Premium per user license and I create reports and dataflows in a Premium Workspace, to who can I share the reports generated there? I only want to share the view, the other users do not need to edit the report.

As far as I checked, I can only do this with other Premium per user license users. Is there any other possiblity?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-janeyg-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Anonymous 

Pro VS PPU:

Power BI Premium is a capacity-based license, while Power BI Pro and Premium Per User (PPU) are user-based licenses. Power BI Pro is for those users publishing reports, sharing dashboards, collaborating with colleagues in workspaces and engaging in other related activities – such as the ability to:

• Edit and save customized views
  • Create personal dashboards (pin to new dashboard)
  • Analyze data in Excel or Power BI Desktop
  • Share with Excel Web App support
  • Share dashboards and collaborate with Microsoft 365 Groups
  • Integrate content with Microsoft Teams

A Premium Per User (PPU) license includes all the functionality of a Pro user, plus additional capabilities.

So if you only want to share report,users with pro or ppu license can view, user with free license  in premium capacity can also view.

v-janeyg-msft_1-1620377382856.png

As for whether the user can edit the report, it is based on the permissions you give him.

For a simple share report, the user won't get the edit permission, unless the user is in workapce/app and has higher permissions than the viewer (member and contributor).

Reference:Power BI Premium Per User - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Power BI Premium FAQ - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

If it doesn’t solve your problem, please feel free to ask me.

Best Regards

Janey Guo

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
vdburg
Resolver I
Resolver I

I have the same situation,

We have around 22 Pro licenses, of which 7 consume reports frequently. And just 2 persons who build reports. So most of them just need to consume the reports. 

Now, we are thinking about getting one PPU license for all the extras, but mainly because it offers extra storage in an Azure Datalake, to load there data from an external source and create a dataset combining data from our on-premises SQL server DB and from a dataflow pulling data from the Data Lake. But its doesn´t make sense if I am the only one who can consume the report. Getting a PPU license for the 22 ocassionally or even 7 frequently consumers, although not as expensive as a Premium capacity still is a lot of money for just consuming reports.

Would it be better to pay for a Azure Data Lake outside of power BI and to create a dataset using this source?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @vdburg ,

If I understand your idea, what I could do is the following:

1. I create dataflows from my Premium workspace

2. I store the data in Azure Data Lake (paying it)

3. I create reports in a Pro Workspace but accessing data from Azure Data Lake

Is this correct?

Thanks

Hi @Anonymous ,

I wasn´t suggesting any approach, I was adding a question on your message because we have the same problem. 

@v-janeyg-msft we are ok with our pro licenses, it covers 90% of our reporting needs. The problem is that we want to create a report, with just a few dimensions and measures. It´s quite basic but we have to pull it from an external data source and it has billions of records from which we have to aggregate as needed. Instead of building the full process to our DWH, we thought of using dataflows and making use of the massive storage available in an Azure data Lake which comes with a PPU. But do we really have to buy a PPU license for all our users to be able to access a report which after all is quite basic? Would it be better to pay for an Azure data Lake storage and get data from there which I can share to everyone?

I am rising this question, because perhaps I am missing something and there is another approach. 

Hi, @vdburg 

I'm sorry, I am only familiar with powerbi. For report sharing of big data, we can consider purchasing premium capacity. Of course, the new feature PPU is also a good choice. As for the other methods you mentioned, as long as it needs to be stored in powerbi at the end, all follow the above scheme.

Best Regards

Janey Guo

Hi, @Anonymous 

I think you have a bit misunderstood. First of all, ppu is for individuals. Although premium capacity can be created, people without ppu cannot enter.

Workspace can only be stored in shared capacity or premium capacity, all license is for user permissions. Please check my previous reply carefully.

My suggestion is that users who need to view Azure Data Lake all use the ppu account, while others can only use the pro account, and don't need to have both.

Best Regards

Janey Guo

Hi, @vdburg  You can buy PPU license instead of Pro for those who need it.

v-janeyg-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Anonymous 

Pro VS PPU:

Power BI Premium is a capacity-based license, while Power BI Pro and Premium Per User (PPU) are user-based licenses. Power BI Pro is for those users publishing reports, sharing dashboards, collaborating with colleagues in workspaces and engaging in other related activities – such as the ability to:

• Edit and save customized views
  • Create personal dashboards (pin to new dashboard)
  • Analyze data in Excel or Power BI Desktop
  • Share with Excel Web App support
  • Share dashboards and collaborate with Microsoft 365 Groups
  • Integrate content with Microsoft Teams

A Premium Per User (PPU) license includes all the functionality of a Pro user, plus additional capabilities.

So if you only want to share report,users with pro or ppu license can view, user with free license  in premium capacity can also view.

v-janeyg-msft_1-1620377382856.png

As for whether the user can edit the report, it is based on the permissions you give him.

For a simple share report, the user won't get the edit permission, unless the user is in workapce/app and has higher permissions than the viewer (member and contributor).

Reference:Power BI Premium Per User - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Power BI Premium FAQ - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

If it doesn’t solve your problem, please feel free to ask me.

Best Regards

Janey Guo

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.