Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Reply
EthanLi
New Member

Shall I need to buy the license of SQLServer 2019 Database again if I already have Power BI Premium?

Hi PowerBI Team,

 

I have tested Developer Version of Power BI report server before, but I found that the loading speed was slow. Here are 3 questiones:

a) If I buy the license of Power BI Premium, can I use the Power BI report server product key from Power BI Premium to deploy the server locally? Also, can the loading speed be improved ?

 

b) Should I need to buy the license of SQL Server 2019 Database again if I already have Power BI Premium ?

 

 Awaiting your reply. Thank you so much.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User


@EthanLi wrote:

a) If I buy the license of Power BI Premium, can I use the Power BI report server product key from Power BI Premium to deploy the server locally?


Yes. If you do this you can install Power BI Report Server on the same number of cores locally as you have licensed for Power BI Premium.

 


@EthanLi wrote:

Also, can the loading speed be improved ?


It's pretty hard to give a definitive answer to this question. But if you install on a machine with faster cores, more memory and faster hard drives then the loading speed should improve.

 


@EthanLi wrote:

b) Should I need to buy the license of SQL Server 2019 Database again if I already have Power BI Premium ?


Power BI Premium comes with what they call a restricted use license for SQL Server. So as long as it is only used to host the Power BI Report Server databases and nothing else then you do not need to purchase a separate license. But if you also use that server for hosting any other databases then you need to purchase a SQL Server license for it.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User


@EthanLi wrote:

a) If I buy the license of Power BI Premium, can I use the Power BI report server product key from Power BI Premium to deploy the server locally?


Yes. If you do this you can install Power BI Report Server on the same number of cores locally as you have licensed for Power BI Premium.

 


@EthanLi wrote:

Also, can the loading speed be improved ?


It's pretty hard to give a definitive answer to this question. But if you install on a machine with faster cores, more memory and faster hard drives then the loading speed should improve.

 


@EthanLi wrote:

b) Should I need to buy the license of SQL Server 2019 Database again if I already have Power BI Premium ?


Power BI Premium comes with what they call a restricted use license for SQL Server. So as long as it is only used to host the Power BI Report Server databases and nothing else then you do not need to purchase a separate license. But if you also use that server for hosting any other databases then you need to purchase a SQL Server license for it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.