Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Marco57
Helper III
Helper III

Sensitivity labels on Report Server

Hello team,

I would like to know if I can publish a power BI report that has sensitivity labels on PBI Report Server?

I know it is working fine on Desktop and Service was wondering if we could benefit as well from on-prem Report Server?

If that is not the case, would we have a workaround to make it work?

Thanks in advance for the support.

Regards,

Marc.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Marco57 ,

Power BI Desktop for Power BI Report Server doesn’t support information protection. If you try to open a protected .pbix file, the file won’t open and you’ll receive an error message. Sensitivity-labeled .pbix files that aren’t encrypted can be opened as normal.

For more information about the Microsoft Information Protection sensitive labeling feature in Power BI.

Please see:Sensitivity labels in Power BI 

For information about enabling sensitivity labels on your tenant, including licensing requirements and prerequisites, see Enable data sensitivity labels in Power BI.

For information about how to apply sensitivity labels on your Power BI content and files, see How to apply sensitivity labels in Power BI.

Hope it helps,

Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Marco57 ,

Power BI Desktop for Power BI Report Server doesn’t support information protection. If you try to open a protected .pbix file, the file won’t open and you’ll receive an error message. Sensitivity-labeled .pbix files that aren’t encrypted can be opened as normal.

For more information about the Microsoft Information Protection sensitive labeling feature in Power BI.

Please see:Sensitivity labels in Power BI 

For information about enabling sensitivity labels on your tenant, including licensing requirements and prerequisites, see Enable data sensitivity labels in Power BI.

For information about how to apply sensitivity labels on your Power BI content and files, see How to apply sensitivity labels in Power BI.

Hope it helps,

Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks Caitlyn for the answer. Is this going to be enabled in the near future? Like kind of extending sensitivtiy labels capabilities to other products like report server (would make sense as it is a platform for reports and data consumption and data protection is a must)?

Regards,

Marc.

d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

Sensitivity labels are part of the Azure Information Protection product, so you need to have this licensed in Azure and therefore the Report Server would need access to the internet in order to get information on the labels from Azure.

The problem with this is that Power BI Report Server is specifically designed for people that are unable or not willing to use cloud based functionality and it has to be able to work in environments where it is completely firewalled off from the internet and Azure. For this reason I do not think you will find any workarounds to integrate these with Report Server. And I think it is unlikely that Microsoft would add support for this in the future because of this design goal.

Thanks for your answer d_gosbell. I actually see you can connect from BI RS to Dataset cloud datasources natively. Meaning both cloud and RS are not completely dessociated. I could not find exact documentation stating in details what should be the behavior to expect.

@Marco57 wrote:

I actually see you can connect from BI RS to Dataset cloud datasources natively. Meaning both cloud and RS are not completely dessociated.

Yes, I did not mean to imply that they block connectivity to the cloud, just that they do not take any hard dependencies which would require cloud integration. If you look at the list of data sources that support scheduled refresh https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/report-server/data-sources?WT.mc_id=DP-MVP-35889 (which are refreshes done on the server itself). You will see that anything that would require authentication against AzureAD (eg. Dynamics 365, Sharepoint Online, OneDrive etc) are not supported. But other sources (like Azure SQL) which have other authentication options like a simple username/password will work fine.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.