Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

arnaudcoel
Regular Visitor

Scheduled Refresh failing immediately with COM error: "not found"

Hi all,

We've started testing Power BI Report Server recently and are trying to configure automated refreshes. Our report is currently hosted on powerbi.microsoft.com and automated refreshes work without issues. Unfortunately, when trying to configure refreshes with the same credentials we receive the following error:

[0] -1056505856: COM error: Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.ASEngineManagedRoot, Datasource {"protocol":"tds","address":{"server":"xxx.database.windows.net","database":"xxx"},"authentication":null,"query":"IF OBJECT_ID(\u0027tempdb..#xxx\u0027) IS NOT NULL\n\tdrop table #xxx\n\nIF OBJECT_ID(\u0027tempdb..#last_info_date\u0027) IS NOT NULL\n\tdrop table #last_info_date\n\nSELECT xxx[long SQL query]} is not found..

Does anyone have any experience with this error? I am not sure why this seems to be happening.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Just wanted to provide an update to this thread, we released a new build of Power BI Report Server yesterday which fixed the issues described in here. In case you still experience problems after the upgrade, I suggest to open a separate thread specific for that issue so we can better track. Feel free to tag me directly in those as well.

You can find more details about the update in this thread:

View solution in original post

39 REPLIES 39
shifoouuh1985

Hello, 

any idea how can this error:  

COM error: Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.ASEngineManagedRoot, No credentials were found

without upgrading the PBI report server. This is not an option that we can do now. 

Thank you

marcosffm
Frequent Visitor

Good Morning,

I also have the same problem with updating reports. I have specific reports working, but I couldn't identify why one report works and another doesn't work, both with the same data source.

The error follows:

SessionID: 7ffa4417-874c-42e5-9367-0fa2ad259e2d

[0] -1056505856: COM error: Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.ASEngineManagedRoot, No credentials were found for the datasource.

[1] -1055784932: The command has been canceled .. The exception was raised by the IDbCommand interface.

[2] -1055784932: The command has been canceled .. The exception was raised by the IDbCommand interface.

If anyone can solve the problem, please share. Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

Same problem here:
0] -1056505856: COM error: Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.ASEngineManagedRoot, No credentials were found for the datasource. [1] -1056505856: COM error: Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.ASEngineManagedRoot, No credentials were found for the datasource. [2] -1056505856: COM error: Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.ASEngineManagedRoot, No credentials were found for the datasource. [3] -1055129594: The current operation was cancelled because another operation in the transaction failed.

metox
Frequent Visitor

yes, we have the same problem too. After last PBIRS update all scheduled refreshes still don't work. Especially PBI reports with many data sources.

jamiestevens28
Frequent Visitor

@gboreki 
We are still having issues with PowerBI reports that were newly created or updated using the Oct 2020 Desktop version (with the November 718th release date), where the scheduled refresh does not work. 

We have confirmed that once we have had all our developers uncheck the preview feature (Enhanced Meta Data), that other reports appear to be fine upon publishing to PowerBI. 

Some questions:

• Will there be a hotfix to address report refreshes on the SSRS portal that have the new Enhanced Meta data preview feature applied? When will the fix be coming?
  • On the install, why was a preview feature enabled by default? If enabled by default, why wasn't scheduled refreshes tested prior to release of the October 2020 (November 18th)?
Boka
Frequent Visitor

HI @Mike_Mellis , @gboreki as you said everything is working with October 2020 when option for preview features is unchecked.

@gboreki just to clarify once again: problem I mentioned in first message is about model with two queries on the same data source. One of them with indexed column. Scheduled refresh didn't work. Second one is model with one data source and two direct queries. Simply edit and save back to the server produce report that doesn't work on server. Details in messages 13 and 14.

Have a nice weekend.

Just wanted to provide an update to this thread, we released a new build of Power BI Report Server yesterday which fixed the issues described in here. In case you still experience problems after the upgrade, I suggest to open a separate thread specific for that issue so we can better track. Feel free to tag me directly in those as well.

You can find more details about the update in this thread:

i have the same problem and this update didn't solve it.

i still update my dashbords manually

Boka
Frequent Visitor

Just to confirm the issues I found in previous release are fixed.

Best regards

Hi @gboreki we have just moved to this (later) 18th nov release from the may 2020 release - and are encountering the "fixed" issue of scheduled report refreshes complaining of missing credentials (they aren't). Is there any update on steps to resolve please?

blynn
Helper I
Helper I

I had a may 2020 copy on another computer. I remote desktop to that computer, and opened a blank report. I copy and pasted the controls and the queries. I fixed the relationships and saved the file . Then I published it. I saved the file and loaded it with the oct 2020 release (with the meta data disabled) and it loaded and I have published it with no issues. Thats the best work around I've found so far and the fastest.

blairblair
Helper I
Helper I

@JeanMartinL / @YonghunLee   Your files are now "infected" since you saved them prior to unchecking the metadata preview feature box. You must revert to a file that was saved with May 2020 or earlier and then as long as the metadata preview feature is not enabled it will work with October 2020 Desktop / Report Server

Thanks a lot. It's very helpful.    But my files have already infected. It' so sad. 

Preview option should have been defaulty unchecked when It's installed. 

YonghunLee
Helper I
Helper I

Another Big issue. 

when using "Folder" data connection and connect to Sharepoint.

the File cannot be saved to Server.  

this is first time to see "save error".   I have nerver seen the error in the series of previous version.

Please help me.     

DfZrkS0

YonghunLee
Helper I
Helper I

Hello. I have also made a thread about the Octobar version error but no rely. 

In this thread MS empolyee is working, so I reply issue again in this thread. 

But In my case, after removing the "enter data", still there is error on refreshing on the server.

error message is like this.

there is no problem with previous version.   as soon as i open the file with new version Power BI Desktop, with no change, refresh in the newer verison power bi desktop is fine.

but when to save again to new version Report server.    refresh in report server, error occurs as below.

there are many report in service in my company. But after update, i have to update manually every day. ever hour the all report. 

as you know. once pbix file is saved in newer version, I cannot rever the file to previous version. 

i am in a hell. 

please help me. 

SessionID: a31e4ae3-8034-47af-b979-c4ee6756dc1c
[0] -1055784932: Information is needed in order to combine data;Information about a data source is required.. The exception was raised by the IDbCommand interface.
[1] -1055784932: The command has been canceled.. The exception was raised by the IDbCommand interface.

JeanMartinL
Advocate II
Advocate II

@gboreki  Thank you for the update, open communication is always greatly appreciated.

In my case I have a report that had a "Enter Data" (no Live Query) and was failing to refresh, but changing that table for an Excel source instead failed to fix the issue, it just changed the error message to this one instead:

SessionID: e28bb1bf-e5ed-4c2c-b257-c99eb938fc20
[0] -1055784932: Information is needed in order to combine data;Information about a data source is required.. The exception was raised by the IDbCommand interface.
[1] -1055784934: The command has been canceled.. The exception was raised by the IDataReader interface. Please review the error message and provider documentation for further information and corrective action.
[2] -1055784934: The command has been canceled.. The exception was raised by the IDataReader interface. Please review the error message and provider documentation for further information and corrective action.
[3] -1055784932: The command has been canceled.. The exception was raised by the IDbCommand interface.
[4] -1055784932: The command has been canceled.. The exception was raised by the IDbCommand interface.
[5] -1055784932: The command has been canceled.. The exception was raised by the IDbCommand interface.
[6] -1055784932: The command has been canceled.. The exception was raised by the IDbCommand interface.
[7] -1055784932: The command has been canceled.. The exception was raised by the IDbCommand interface.
[8] -1055784932: The command has been canceled.. The exception was raised by the IDbCommand interface.

All my data sources are configured correctly and test successfully. The report refreshes correct in PBI Desktop. Is this something that requires more investigation?

Thanks!

gboreki
Employee
Employee

PBIDesktop does save a backup of the template file before running the upgrade. You can find that in the local temp folder:

C:\Users\<<username>>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop SSRS\TempSaves\Backups

@gboreki I feel like the General at the end of Independence Day:

"Get on the wire, tell them how to bring those sons of b##### down."

Thank you for all your help on this.  I did make a series of changes on a "infected" report after the upgrade, so my pre-upgrade backup does not have these changes.  Will there be a point where the enhanced metadata files are workable again or should I just bite the bullet and make the changes again on the clean version?

Hi @blairblair There are two root causes we identified that seem to causing the majority of issues reported here, one of them is that reports that have one or more 'EnterData' tables are failing to refresh. The other is that reports with more than one Native queries are failing to refresh. These two issues will be fixed in the next servicing update, at that point the reports you have should start to refresh again. We will update the related threads here once the build is out. But if you are facing issues that do not seem to fall in either category then I would like to work with you and finding the root cause so we can address that as well.

Thanks

gboreki

blairblair
Helper I
Helper I

@Mike_Mellis / @Boka  / @gboreki 

Disabling preview features and saving the file again is not a catch all.. It worked for one file with multiple SQL Query datasources but none of the other files I tried re-saving after disabling the feature were able to return to normal refresh behavior.

COM error: Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.ASEngineManagedRoot, Datasource {"protocol":"tds","address":{"server":"SERVER_NAME","database":"DB_NAME"},"authentication":null,"query":

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.