Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Babette
Helper III
Helper III

Report renders very slow

Hello,  The PBI report takes >30sec to render, this is too slow (using Edge, Chrome is the same slow). Posting the problem in this section as we have on-prem Report Server. After 4-6 sessions with Microsoft, with them obtaining various run logs from us, we are informed unless we have a break to fix problem, Microsoft support cannot help us 😞 

The PBI report has the following visuals and Data Connect Mode is Import (about 200 data rows - few seconds to refresh daily ).
1) 1 Bing Map of North America
2) 1 Area chart
3) 4 Slicers and 1 Text Filter
4) 9 Images
5) 18 Advanced Cards

(We have the latest May2021 Report Server)

The Model in the report is a star-schema. Performance analyzer showed the max DAX query is only 43ms, Visual display and Other are high ones.

Current PBI Server is a 4core CPU and max CPU peaked at 58% only (PBI Server, DB and Web all in the same VM). Microsoft said adding CPU would not make a difference.

I am trying to trace with the DevTool (F12) in Edge, the 'reportServerHost.js' took 15sec and many processes have long stalled/waiting states. Don't understand what it all means, thinking maybe this can help explain the slow report render. I am hoping the PBI community can help explain or have suggestions on how the report could be improved for render performance. Thank you.

Btw, I did another test with a report that just displays 'Hello' (no DB). It took 8sec to load in the browser.

2 REPLIES 2
HashamNiaz
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Babette !

I can see some obvious problems with the design.

18 Card visuals, this mean even if teh card has similar information the query is processed18 times.

9 images, we need to see image compression, try with taking out the images & see if it made any difference.

Regards,

Hasham

Thank you @HashamNiaz for you help.   The Textbox in the latest Desktop has option to set alignments.  Will replace the Card visuals (see below) with Textbox.  Btw, how is Textbox processed in PBI?  

--------------------------

Image | Advanced Card

| Advanced Card      (5 sets across at top of chart)  and (4 sets 2x2 at bottom of chart)  

--------------------------

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.